Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2017 19:00

Dell Inspiron 13-7352 HDD

Last week my HDD starting failing on me so I went ahead did a lot of research into HDDs and ordered a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 5400rm 2.5 7mm drive for a replacement. When I got the drive it was intermittently registering in the BIOS. I could "successfully" restore my image with Clonezilla and it would see the drive. I could even go through different OS installs (Lubuntu, Ubuntu, WIN10) and format the installed HDD and receive the message that the install was a success and to restart. Upon every restart the BIOS would not detect the HDD. It would show up in the System Setup F2 rarely but on a reboot it would disappear. I thought it had to be a bad drive. I ordered another replacement of the same drive and have the same issues. I even started to think it was the SATA cable or the Mother Board. However, I can reinstall my old failing HDD in and it sees it no problem and will boot to it time and time again.

So with my now two weeks and countless hours troubleshooting I have summed it up to one big question. Does the replacement drive have to be the same drive that I pulled out of the laptop (HGST  HTS541010A7E630)? Is it a different problem?

I didn't think it mattered exactly what HDD I replaced it with as long as the specs matched and obviously the size.

It also bothers me that parts-people.com recommends the Seagate barracuda as an exact replacement.

Any help would be very, very much appreciated! 

Jake

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2017 03:00

It's unlikely the drive is the issue -- try replacing the cable that connects the drive to the mainboard.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the issue is most likely with the board itself.

Any standard 2.5" 7 mm drive will work with this system.

November 7th, 2017 09:00

ejn63,

That was my original thought, however it does not explain why the old drive will show up in BIOS and boot every time. The other drives would show up maybe 35-40% of the time but after an install and reboot they would disappear. So with just that I was thinking the cable but once I plugged my old drive back in and it went fine (just really slow because its dying). I have had no other problems that might also suggest a bad board.

I do really appreciate the reply.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 7th, 2017 10:00

Check the serial numbers of the two Seagate drives you've tried.  If they're close, it may be they were part of a bad batch -- or they were damaged in shipping somewhere.  

I've had bad luck with Seagate drives in recent years - though that's anecdotal, I'm convinced their quality control trails that of WD (and its subsidiary HGST) and Toshiba.

No Events found!