Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 13, No bootable device found

Guys,

Last year, I decided to splurge on a new laptop ahhh my Dell is a beauty! Last week, I turned it on and it said,"SupportAssist is running a scan to detect potential hardware problems." I really didn't think anything of it but then I got the following message."No bootable device found.". For days I have researched to find a solution but I only found outdated post. I feel like I've tried everything and can not solve the issue maybe I am doing something wrong? I have been changing my my boot mode multiple times. When I change it to UEFI I get the following message, "Hardware scan complete with no issues. No bootable device found! Possible causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device is not enabled for BIOS Set up". When I change it to Legacy it says, "Hardware scan complete with no issues."Then when I restart it....it goes on a constant loop of, "No bootable device found please press a key...". I have also run the diagnostics and it says everything in my system is fine. I don't think it's a virus because I use my Kaspersky religiously lol. I also found recent post on here where people where dealing with the same issue with the Inspiron models.

22 Posts

June 24th, 2017 15:00

Quick Solution for UEFI base

I'll try to write it in English

Step by step According to the pictures...

Boot Sequence

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../1.png

Put Name: 123

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../17.png

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../21.png

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../8.png

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../101.png

When the "123" list was added to the list above, the "V" must be removed from the rest

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../15.png

Apply => open popup windows => click "OK"

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../30.png

Exit

philipyip.files.wordpress.com/.../31.png

The system restarting...

Wait and see if my magic has succeeded ...

Additional Video:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 31st, 2017 11:00

Please follow the steps as I have posted above? Please click on link below for additional information.

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech ...

Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 14th, 2017 15:00

Thank you for your message.  This seems to be an issue with a corrupt OS. Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into bios, press F9 to set bios to defaults & then F10 to save & exit. What is the present OS installed on the notebook? Please open this and enter your system service tag, click on drivers downloads, scroll down to the operating system. If available you can create a recovery USB drive to reinstall the OS. You will lose data if not backed up. Run a hardware Diagnostic again.

August 3rd, 2017 18:00

Thank you! I had the exact symptoms of the original poster and this is the only thing that worked for me.

1 Message

August 10th, 2017 16:00

It works! Thank you so much! I was almost giving up until I found this

2 Posts

September 16th, 2017 08:00

I had the same exact issue. I followed these instructions but when I click OK on the EFI Boot Selection screen I get a warning message "File Name not found"?  Any thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 17th, 2017 16:00

Also run diagnostic to check the hard drive on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off the system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it.  After quick tests, click on Hard drive, and select Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 17th, 2017 16:00

Hi rpatil77

Please check if the hard drive is detected in the BIOS.

Dell Inspiron 3543:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 17th, 2017 20:00

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Ex; Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

2 Posts

September 17th, 2017 20:00

Hi LSUFAN51

Thanks for your response.  My computer won't even power on now.  It is plugged in and the keyboard keeps flashing the backlight on and off but the screen won't come on.  So, I can't even perform the test you suggested.  Not sure if I have any options left but to take it back to the store!

1 Message

October 4th, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much!!! after contacting with Dell support several times the only solution they provide is to reinstall the OS through an USB..I would lost all of my data. I found this post in the very last moment!!

Thank you again..if you don't mind I will send it to Dell support. By the way, I don't know if now I should restore BIOS defaul settings or not.

1 Message

October 30th, 2017 22:00

How you get to the UEFI window? My dell inspiron 14 7437 is running windows 10 and suddenly showing not boot device found, press f1 to retry, f2 for setup etc... Please advise

1 Message

November 11th, 2017 15:00

Fantastic, bravo to you.  This works brilliantly.

22 Posts

December 15th, 2017 05:00

You need to select a name "boot option name"

December 20th, 2017 06:00

This was really amazing, that it solved the issue. I am just curious, what it actually did, and why this seems to be fairly common problem with these notebooks. I am pretty technical, so I understand how Operating systems work for the most part, and would like to know, what the problem was that would not allow the boot from the UEFI but creating , I guess what you can call an alternative boot , allowed a flawless boot,  with no data loss. And why the techs at Dell are clueless to this,. and are so quick to jump to ok, do a factory reset and lose all your data, when this is such a simple solution. Thank you so much for the well documented screen shots of this process.

No Events found!