Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

February 5th, 2009 17:00

Dell Inspiron 1300 Speakers keep cutting out

Hey

I have a Dell 1300 Inspiron laptop and have had it for a few years now, basically the only issue I have is that when I have speakers plugged in every now and again the sound inexplicably cuts out - if I turn them off for a bit and replug them in they do the same thing.  The sound doesn't do this when there are no speakers plugged in or when I'm using headphones.  Not sure what's going on.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 5th, 2009 19:00

The speakers may be defective. Have you tried them on a different system to see if they do the same thing?

3 Posts

February 7th, 2009 17:00

I have tried them with two different sets of speakers and they both do the same thing.  Sometimes it happens when I'm running two programs that are making sound (ie a very low ram video game and music in the background) and other times just when there's music playing.  Not too sure what this is - any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 18:00

I'm sorry but I can't think of a reason why the signal at the output jack would intermittently cut out when speakers are plugged in but not when headphones are.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2009 21:00

Actually - forgot to mention, my headphones connect through a USB port.  So do you have any idea why the output jack would cut out intermittently?

Thanks

Chris

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 8th, 2009 07:00

Chris,

As far as I know that is not a known problem on the 1300. I can think of 3 problem areas:

> the Sigmatel audio driver. You could try to reinstall it.

> A loose connection or solder joint that interupts the signal as it warms up.

> A faulty headphone jack.

I don't know of any user solutions for the last two possibilities.

No Events found!