Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2010 05:00

Dell Inspiron 1300 windows not starting up.

I had a blue screen come up on my Inspiron 1300. This has happened a couple of times before but I have had no problems when I reboot.

However , the last time the blue screen came up, I rebooted as normal but now windows does not start up at all.  The screen just tells me that windows did not open corectly then goes black and stays black. I can still open the disc drive.

I do not have any operating dics nor back up discs as these were lost in a house move. Any ideas  ot help ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 12th, 2010 05:00

Symptoms and age of system would indicate a failed hard drive.  To confirm, press F12 at powerup, load the Dell diagnostics and run the extended (NOT just the quick) drive test.  It'll probably fail, in which case you will need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm EIDE (NOT SATA) notebook drive 120G or smaller.

If you're the registered owner of the system and in the US, you can order the needed copy of Windows here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Outside the US, contact your local Dell office, or if you're not the registered owner, you'll then need to purchase a copy of Windows at retail.

No Events found!