Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2014 16:00

Dell Inspiron 14z: 4 loud beeps (RAM reseated, problem persisting)

I've had my inspiron since 2011, so of course, my warranty is no longer valid the one time that I need it. I haven't had many issues with it, aside from the fact that the battery is no longer functional and the laptop needs to be plugged into a power source whenever it's in use (which is partially my own problem, but I don't necessarily have the money for a new battery at the moment). I don't use this laptop heavily (in terms of programs or gaming)--just internet. Because it needs to be plugged into a power source whenever its in use, it doesn't leave the house either (needing to keep it plugged in is a major inconvenience). 

Today, I attempted to turn my laptop on after plugging it into a power source as usual. When pressing the power button, it lit up, along with the three buttons in the upper right hand corner. Nothing displayed on the screen/the screen remained black and unresponsive. Then, four loud beeps, pause, four loud beeps, pause, until I turned the computer off. With a little research, I found that the four loud beeps were likely due to memory failure and reseated the RAM multiple times with no response. 

What now?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

May 13th, 2014 00:00

Hi sedenova,

Appreciate the trouble shooting steps. Reseating the memory should have resolved 4 beeps at startup. Since the issue is persisting, I recommend one last step i.e. try one memory in one slot at a time. Try both the memory modules in both the slots. If the issue persists try with a known good memory.

Reply with the status for further assistance.

No Events found!