Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2012 00:00

Dell Inspiron 14z Laptop (w/ Windows 7 Home edition) Locks up and freezes after login

Hi, can anyone help me out with this problem?

My BRAND NEW Dell Inspiron 14z Laptop is constantly freezing after I log in. The first time I logged in it worked great, but the problems with locking up and freezing started the second time I powered it up on the same day. I was forced to do a hard shut down and from that point onward, my computer could only run in safe mode without freezing. I tried the built in troubleshooter, and it told me some hardware wasn't fully updated. I tried to update the hardware, but the freezing issue prevented me from doing so. I cannot access the internet on my laptop to update the drivers. I am out of options. Can anyone help?

3.8K Posts

June 11th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Looks like some startup program is causing this issue. Most probably your Antivirus software. To check if its your startup, click on start, and in the search box type in msconfig and press enter. Click on the Startup Tab on top, and click on Disable All at the bottom, click on Apply and then click ok and restart your computer.

If this fixes the issue then its one of the startup programs, you will need to go back to your startup programs, and check each program to see which is causing it. Your Antivirus software will be a good one to start with.

Thank you

2 Posts

June 11th, 2012 04:00

Thank you! I am responding to your advice on my laptop. Avast was causing the issue, and everything is working great now. Would you be able to recommenda good free antiviral program?

3.8K Posts

June 11th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting back. There are many free antivirus softwares, like AVG, Comodo, or try Microsoft Security Essentials.

windows.microsoft.com/.../security-essentials

Thank you

No Events found!