Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2017 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 series battery fail

Hi all,

My Dell Inspiron  15, 3000 series, tells me the battery has failed completely and needs to be replaced. The laptop is only 2 years old and my battery use has been low. A new battery appears to be about half the price of the machine and I'm loathe to pay that for only another 2 years of use.
 Is this normal? Can I check that it is actually the battery that is failing and not something else?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2017 16:00

A normal lifespan for a lithium ion battery is 300-500 charge cycles or 18-24 months, so it's not out of the ordinary.

OEM batteries are expensive - though there are third party ones at lower cost, it may not be worth the risk to save the money -- safety can be an issue with them.

2 Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

OK, thanks for the response. It seems pretty poor that's failed seeing as I have 3 other laptops which are 2.5 year, 5 and 7 years old and all have functioning batteries (although they have degraded a bit over time).

I have previously had notifications come up about the charger not being found so possibly the charging circuit or power lead are screwed too and maybe that's accelerated it.

No Events found!