Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2014 07:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 combo jack

Hi. I seem to be having problems with this. I'm aware that this laptop has a combo jack, so I purchased a headset splitter http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/30974635/-/Product.html . But it still seems to be recording through the built in microphone instead of my synthesizer. I am using a 3-segment 3.5mm jack to jack straight into the microphone input on the headset splitter. 

Should i be using a 4-segment? 

Kind regards

Shyam Gorasia

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

Hello Shyam Gorasla. That looks like it should work. The one I usually recommend is this one called Headset Buddy but as far as I can tell they are the same thing.

Make sure that you have the Realtek audio driver installed and that you select the external jack to be your default recording source. (I don't know exactly what options you will see on your particular model of laptop -- on my laptop with IDT audio it is called "jack mic").

The combo jack is mono and probably your synthesizer output port is stereo. I don't know exactly how the contacts are designed within the mic jack socket of the adapter. Perhaps move the plug slightly back & forth within the jack socket to achieve better contact?

2 Posts

January 4th, 2014 09:00

I've tried different converters on my synthesizer ports (1/4" jack converter plugs) and it worked with a 2-segment jack plug connected to a standard 3.5mm jack to jack wire (3-segment). But audio quality was a bit poor. On my old laptop which had a mic port, I used to get good audio recorded.

I don't know what to do. I dont know what the problem is so I dont just want to waste time buying different plug adapters to see if they work.

It works excellent with my ipod connected. Good recorded sound, but when i connect my synth, its not as good.

And I already have Realtek installed on my lappy, but there's no external jack appearing on the recording devices its just the same one. So i cant turn it off.

No Events found!