Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2017 00:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5577 Max SSD/HHD Combinations

Hey I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5577, which came with a 512GB M.2 SSD.

I read the official max SSD/HDD configurations from the user manual, but in the past with some other laptops I have been able to add more than the system maximums.

Per the manual, the following specifications are available:

HDD: up to 1TB (HDD only)
up to 1TB HDD + up to 128GB SSD
up to 512 GB (SSD only)
For this laptop I was wondering if anyone had attempted to add a SSD/HDD configuration that was above the specified maximums?

I have an extra 1TB 2.5 SATA HDD and wanted to see if anyone had trouble having a 1TB SATA HHD + 512 SSD M.2 without complciations.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2017 08:00

The "up to" specs are what the system is available with directly from Dell, unless they explicitly indicate otherwise -- for example, the memory spec on some XPS systems says, "Up to 32GB supported (additional memory sold separately)" to indicate that you can install that much memory, but you can't get it that way from Dell.

There's no hardware issue that would limit the max SATA drive size to 1TB. the last hardware limit was with LBA addressing that created a problem with drives larger than 137GB, I think.  Since then, there hasn't been a practical limit.  The only thing that matters is the physical THICKNESS of the drive to make sure it fits in the bay.  Standard thickness is 9mm, but there are also 5, 7, and 11mm drives.  Very few systems accommodate 11mm drives.  Most accommodate 9mm drives and will therefore accept thinner drives (though without bumpers/padding, the fit isn't always ideal), and some very thin and light systems will only accept 7 or even 5mm drives, but I doubt that would be the case for a 15-inch Inspiron.

No Events found!