Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 17:00

:emotion-2:

In your Dell Product Support page, I suggest updating the Chipset and Video drivers in correct order or one by one. Please click on link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

EDIT:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2017 18:00

Or....

Select Drivers & Downloads in the File you have posted above, and then click Detect Drivers.

10 Posts

November 4th, 2017 04:00

I have already updated all of my drivers using that same tool you suggested but for some reason, it detects my chipset driver and says I should update it, but I have done the Download and Install thing on the webpage and also manually downloaded the chipset driver and it says it is installed. But it says it isn't when I run the Detect Drivers. (Actually there are 2 drivers the chipset and WIFI Driver)

3 Posts

November 6th, 2017 15:00

I'm having the exact problem as the OP after updating the BIOS. I notice that this only happens when powered by the battery.  The logs say that it's a Kernal-Power error with a code of 41.

10 Posts

November 6th, 2017 20:00

Same problem as OP. My laptop was working perfectly fine until this happened. I've been looking everywhere for a solution that can fix it. Please help.

9.4K Posts

November 7th, 2017 07:00

Hi djklu31,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information from Microsoft that may be helpful:  http://dell.to/2zpn3NW

10 Posts

November 8th, 2017 09:00

As diklu31 said, I hadn't noticed it only happens when unplugged.

Thanks for the reply Robert, but what you suggested didn't help and I know for a fact it's not a hardware issue, as I have ran every possible test and it all checks. It has to do with the BIOS update.

Anyways, please let me know if/when you guys find a solution. Thanks!

5 Posts

November 8th, 2017 15:00

Add me to the list of users experiencing the exact same thing :-(

6 Posts

November 8th, 2017 17:00

I'm wondering if the issue I experienced today is the same thing.  I updated the latest BIOS a couple of days ago and today is the first time I ran on battery only. The screen would go dark and laptop appears to go to sleep. It did that a few times even when it was not idle. I posted the issue elsewhere in this forum.  en.community.dell.com/.../20024167.

November 8th, 2017 19:00

Exactly same problem. I had a problem with screen glitch after sleeping mode after windows update (there are many posts in the forum about it, bios update was suggested by moderators as a solution). So, I updated my bios, but it become worse now. There is no problem after sleeping mode, but my laptop restarting ramdomly (5 times in last 3 hours). I tried to update whole drivers one by one in order as posted lsufan51. But it didn't solve the problem. Moreover, I tried to use dell support assist to update drivers automatically. Intel 8265 WIFI driver, coulnd't updated, fails every time and chipset updated succesfully, but every time it listed as required updates list again. This is very annoying, I couldn't watch any movie without 3 times restart. It is very good laptop, please solve this problem. Thnak you

2 Posts

November 9th, 2017 03:00

I've had the same problem and was looking for answers when I saw on the Dell support page that they had released an urgent update to the BIOS, it's now 1.21.0 - it looks as if it was released today.  Just installed it so I hope it solves the problem!

10 Posts

November 9th, 2017 10:00

Can you copy the BIOS update link? I tried searching for it but it doesn't show on my Dell support page.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2017 17:00

Same, I don't see v1.21 of the BIOS on the page.  Latest I see is 1.20 which is definitely bugged.

9 Posts

November 9th, 2017 18:00

Same problem here, new Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming laptop. Issue is definitely related to the recent 1.2.0 BIOS update posted to Dell's Drivers & Downloads support page on 10/27. As mentioned previously, Windows Event Viewer says that it's a Kernal-Power critical error with event ID 41. Dell, please fix this extremely annoying and unacceptable issue.

I also do not see a 1.21.0 BIOS update for my Dell service tag (or in Drivers & Downloads under Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming for that matter).

2 Posts

November 10th, 2017 03:00

I'm sorry I don't have a link - it appeared in the laptop's Dell support assist page under drivers and downloads - it is version 1.21.1 (not 1.21.0 as I said above).  It might be that I'm getting in a pickle as I have a 5578 laptop but it definitely had version 1.20. which was causing me the same problems as on the thread here.

No Events found!