Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

1 Message

November 20th, 2017 15:00

the same problem in here

9 Posts

November 20th, 2017 16:00

@DELL-Justin C thank you for the update! I'm hoping this gets resolved soon.

4 Posts

November 20th, 2017 20:00

Add me to the list having the same problem. Updated the BIOS to fix the screen problem and now having random restarts.

10 Posts

November 21st, 2017 05:00

@DELL-Justin C Thank you very much! Hoping to hear from the team soon.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 21st, 2017 12:00

@Community,

Dell engineering has informed me that they were not aware of, and are not working on a fix, to any shut down issue related to the latest BIOS update. I know of one individual from Dell technical support so far that has attempted replication of this shut down on one of our own 7567 lab assets and was not able to replicate. With that being the case, I will need to obtain units that are in their failed state so that I can make a case for Dell engineering.

I do have one case so far that I've adopted from the phone support team and have extended support to, in order to obtain that capture. However, I need more than one unit to make a case.

I need several Community members with the shutdown issue to send me each a friend request with service tag. We'll start cases for each and will work something out.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2017 13:00

I sent a friend request with my service tag

November 21st, 2017 15:00

I come from Germany and I also have this problem. So stressful ...

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 21st, 2017 15:00

@Community,

I've received all the volunteers that I need so far.

Potential work around for those not currently working with me privately: Downgrade the BIOS to an older version 1.1.0   1.0.7   1.0.6

I will be back with an update when I know more. 

2 Posts

November 21st, 2017 20:00

It's also happened here in Indonesia, I have bought this 'golden batch 7567' from Australia. It is my first time using DELL brand, to be honest, and look what I found just a random restarts. It's kinda freaking me out every day as I cannot finish my work without electricity plugged

5 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 17:00

I downgraded to 1.0.7 and my Laptop still freezes ramdomly. I´ll try downgrade to 1.0.6 and see if i find something different.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 18:00

This seems to have resolved the issue for me (about 2 hours so far off battery and no restarts).

All credit to Andreas_Athanasiades from this post en.community.dell.com/.../20018410

Go to Power Options (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options) and select "Choose what the power buttons do" in left window then uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".

If it's greyed out select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the top then uncheck.

Hopefully this will at least be a temporary fix for people.

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 18:00

All credit to Andreas_Athanasiades from this post en.community.dell.com/.../20018410

Go to Power Options (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings) and uncheck the button "Turn on fast startup (recommended)".

If it's greyed out select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and the top then uncheck.

So far about 2 hours on battery and yet to get that annoying restart.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 22:00

^ I did this in the past and this doesn't work for me.  I did notice that this option off makes boot up so much faster on this computer though.  So far, I've downgraded my BIOS and haven't had an issue so far.  I wouldn't be surprised about the grey lines bug showing up sometime soon though.

10 Posts

November 24th, 2017 03:00

Didn't work for me too (the turn on fast startup) :(

7 Posts

November 25th, 2017 22:00

I have this same problem! I think it's only happened while on battery and only during potentially GPU related tasks (playing Rimworld or editing video with Lightworks).

Edit: I have been able to reliably reproduce this crash while playing Rimworld. Especially when starting from a manual save.

No Events found!