Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 20th, 2017 10:00

@Jaspherkeith,

It depends on the cause of the shut down. Sometimes Windows and BIOS keeps a log and sometimes not. You can try event viewer.

@Community,

So far I've been unable to replicate the issue. If anyone has a unit that produces the shut down after 1.2.0, at least once per day, please send me a friend request with service tag.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 13:00

If you are not getting normal dump files, check the folder with the following path and look through those folders.  If you put any dump files on your OneDrive and give us a link, someone may be able to help.  These dump files do not seem to require a full scale BSOD to occur.

Windows\LiveKernelReports

@ Justin C

Thanks.

Have you tried  copying anything preferrably large files from a phone to the pc then run a resource intensive programs like a game perhaps on battery. My rig does turn off in that scenario. Also may i add that i have patitioned my 1tb hard disk into 2 500gb drives. I will try to replicate that tomorrow morning.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

@Jaspherkeith,

I have not tested a large file transfer but definitely will try that soon. Thank you.

I did test running 3x Youtube videos while at the same time running HeavyLoad for a few hours and it never shut down.

Is your issue happening only after 1.2.0? If so please send me a friend request with your tag.

December 21st, 2017 03:00

@saltgrass, @ justin c

I was able to replicate it this morning. The random shutdown. I checked the dump file in the path that you gave there were no new dumpfile recorded but i checked the event viewer and there were errors and warnings and a report of error 41.

drive.google.com/folderview

Here is a link for the event viewer file.

Where can i find the normal dump files.

Thanks in advance. I am willing to provide any logs that you may require.  Just instruct me how to generate it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 08:00

Since Justin is the one to listen to here, I will just mention a couple of things.  The kernel event 41 happens anytime an abnormal power change takes place.  It is not usually the cause of the problem but a result.

In you Event Viewer log I see many references to a QueenCreek service being terminated for various reasons.  It is identified specifically as ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK..  Do you know what that is or do you have any control over it?  Did you install some software from your ISP?

"The Energy Server Service queencreek service terminated with the following error:

The stream is not a tiny stream."

December 21st, 2017 12:00

@saltgrass

First of all thank you. I do not know what this Queencreek service is. Does ISP stand for Internet service provider? If by chance yes, i have not installed any sofware from ISP.  Did you find anything related as to what was the cause of the shut down.. i think I saw there I warning about the processor being limited by the bios though i dont understand wjat does it mean. If you need any other log please tell me where to find them as I  dont have much technical knowledge in computers. And where can i find the normal dumpfiles?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 13:00

You are correct regarding the ISP.

The errors from the Queencreek service are not normal.  I would investigate that further.  Maybe someone else will know.  You don't, by chance, live in Queen Creek?

The processor message happen on my system without causing a shutdown.  The same for the 10016 DCOM errors.

I will look further at your log just in case..

December 21st, 2017 21:00

@saltgrass

I dont live in Queen creek. I currently reside  in Arabia because of work. I was transferring huge file then started Total war Warhammer when the shutdown happened. Thank you in advance.

10 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 02:00

Having the same issue on  two seperate identical dell notebooks.

10 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 03:00

Try the new BIOS 1.4.0 looks like worked for me up to now...

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 18:00

Anybody try BIOS 1.4.0?

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 09:00

The same problem occurs in BIOS version 1.4.0. I hope this problem is resolved soon. I want to downgrade but I upgraded to 1.4.0 and found a solution called downgrade, but the downgrade is already due to blocked.

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 09:00

I did but I'm still getting shutdowns. I'm currently on a train trying to watch a movie and the PC has restarted 4 times

December 23rd, 2017 11:00

@ Community

Good mornimg. I installed the new BIOS 1.4. I played Total war warhammer 2 on battery until on low  battery levels and I have not experienced a shutdown. Im keeping my fingers  crossed. Will do another playthrough tomorrow. Still havent tried transferring large files from phone and running resource intensive app simultaneously which was my original issue.

@saltgrass

Do you need any other logs just incase you wanted to dig in deeper. Thanks in advance.

No Events found!