Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2017 13:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7547 - Screen Blinking Black for About 3 Seconds

Hey everyone!

So, I've been having this problem with my laptop for quite a while now and I have not been able to solve it. My laptop is acting as a desktop (it's connected to an external monitor, its lid is closed, and it is constantly plugged in). Every so often, the screen on the monitor turns black for around 3 seconds and comes back on. I just bought a new monitor to see if that would stop the flickering, but it didn't.

I have CONFIRMED that it is a problem with the laptop itself, NOT the monitor.

I do not know anything else that I could try to fix my problem. I've been on so many different forum discussions and have gotten nowhere. I have updated the graphics of my laptop, just by updating them and by completely uninstalling them and reinstalling them. I am thinking that my problem could be related to the battery of my laptop, as I have tried basically everything else. It is not related to the refresh rate. The laptop is connected to the external monitor via HDMI. The laptop is connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7547. My laptop is running the 64-bit edition of Windows 10 Home (version 1703). My processor is an Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70Ghz 2.40Ghz. I have 16 GB of RAM installed.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Josh

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 31st, 2017 04:00

Hi jdmathews,

Thanks for posting.

Does the same thing happen when using the laptop as a laptop and not connected to the external monitor?

5 Posts

May 31st, 2017 10:00

Hi Robert,

I don't believe so. I've only had this issue when it is connected to an external monitor.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 06:00

Which external monitor are you using?  Is it powered by a separate power cord or USB power?  Also, the monitor may be drawing a higher current than the Laptop can provide, which could also cause the issue.  Please post the particulars of the monitor so the experts here can provide more assistance.  Thanks.

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hi Robert,

I am using an UltraSharp 24 InfinityEdge Monitor (U2417H). It is powered by a separate power cord that came in the box. I posted the rest of the specifications below and the link to the product itself: www.dell.com/.../monitors-monitor-accessories

General:

Display Type

LED-backlit LCD monitor / TFT active matrix

Energy Class

Class A

Power Consumption (On mode)

16.93 W

Diagonal Size

24"

Viewable Size

23.8"

Built-in Devices

USB 3.0 hub

Panel Type

IPS

Aspect Ratio

Widescreen - 16:9

Native Resolution

Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz

Pixel Pitch

0.2745 mm

Brightness

250 cd/m²

Contrast Ratio

1000:1

Color Support

16.7 million colors

Response Time

6 ms

Vertical Refresh Rate

56 - 76 Hz

Horizontal Refresh Rate

30 - 83 kHz

Video Bandwidth

148.5 MHz

Horizontal Viewing Angle

Vertical Viewing Angle

Screen Coating

Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating

Backlight Technology

LED backlight

Color Temperature

5000K, 10000K

Controls & Adjustments

Brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation, gamma correction, rotation, input select, color temperature, hue, aspect control

OSD Languages

Chinese (simplified), Brazilian Portuguese, English, German, French, Russian, Spanish, Japanese

Features

Game mode, Cinema Mode, 99% sRGB color gamut, integrated cable management, Multi-Stream transport (MST), BFR/PVC-free, Energy Gauge, Mercury free, Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS) technology, arsenic-free glass, Infinity Edge display

Color

Black

Dimensions (WxDxH)

21.2 in x 7.4 in x 14 in - with stand

Weight

11.71 lbs

Connectivity:

Interfaces

MHL / HDMI

DisplayPort output (MST)

DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort

USB 3.0 upstream

4 x USB 3.0 downstream

Audio line-out

Mechanical:

Display Position Adjustments

Height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt

Tilt Angle

-5/+21

Swivel Angle

Rotation Angle

Height Adjustment

5.1 in

Flat Panel Mount Interface

100 x 100 mm

Miscellaneous

Features:

Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), LED indicator, integrated cable management, VESA interface support, 1 USB 3.0 charging port

Included Accessories

Stand, cable management cover

Cables Included

1 x SuperSpeed USB cable - 6 ft

1 x Mini DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable - 6 ft

Compliant Standards

Plug and Play, DDC/CI, RoHS, TCO Displays

Power

Voltage Required:

AC 120/230 V (50/60 Hz)

Power Consumption Operational

68 Watt

Power Consumption Stand by

0.5 Watt

Power Consumption Sleep

0.5 Watt

5 Posts

June 19th, 2017 17:00

Please help me figure out my problem. It is still not fixed.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2017 15:00

Please help me solve my problem.

Thank you,

Josh Mathews

No Events found!