Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2014 16:00

Dell Inspiron 1525

Am I screwed?  I bought a used laptop at a flea market for $25 - thought I could give it to the kids.

The guy swore it worked.  It does work, but....it turns out it is password protected!! 

I say I want to reset the password and it says to connect a floppy or USB drive to do so.  Is that the same as a memory stick?  If so, I connected a memory stick and nothing happened.  I also have an external floppy device for floppy disks.  That did not work either.  What am I supposed to do after connecting said drive anyway?

Am I using the wrong things?  Any suggestions?  Can I do what I want to do? Or have I lost $25?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 17th, 2014 16:00

If it's a Windows password, there are ways to clear that if it's not known.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If it's the BIOS password, return the system for a refund.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2014 08:00

Thanks ejm63

I think it is a Windows password.  The desktop comes up with the username (?) and asks for a password and gives a clue.

I searched the Internet and tried to get in via Recovery and Safe modes, but in order to see the command line - guess what?  I need a password (admin?).

I have XP on my PC and am not too familiar on navigating in Win7 yet or what different screens mean.

I already saw your solution on pogostick and wondered if it would really work.

I put the file on a thumb drive, change the computer's start order, insert stick and follow instructions.  Sounds pretty easy.  No one says this, but I presume you have to change the start order back once you have a new password?

Does this take care of admin password as well?  So far I have not seen the screens I see all over the Internet.  I presume that those are the BIOS screen?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2014 14:00

You can use it to reset any password in the system (it basically blanks out the existing password and will prompt you for a new one when you log into the system).  Yes, it works with all versions of Windows - have used it on XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

No Events found!