Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2014 12:00

Dell Inspiron 1535 21 not booting

Hi,

my 6 month old Dell hung upon me today all of a sudden and is not booting after that. 

I kept seeing the Dell logo (without any progress bar), then a screen that said:

Checking media [Fail]

Checking media

No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_

Please help

Doesn't seem to detect hard disk when I go into F8 everything else seems to be fine.

thanks in advance

1.3K Posts

June 5th, 2014 12:00

Hi Shyamala,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Tap F2 at startup and check if hard drive is detected in the BIOS/System Setup screen.

Run hardware diagnostics to confirm hardware failure. Click on this link for steps: http://dell.to/Ohu88J

Keep us posted on the results for further assistance, if required.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

9 Posts

June 5th, 2014 13:00

Thanks for your quick reply

On going in to Setup utility, it says Fixed HDD [Not Detected]

thanks

would it help to open up the laptop and reseat the HDD?

1.3K Posts

Hi Shyamala,

Thank you for your reply.

If you are comfortable with re-seating the hard drive, please try doing so. Click on this link for an Inspiron 15 3521 manual for steps to remove and reseat the hard drive: http://dell.to/1rOZCVp

Go through the steps in the "Before You Begin" section prior to disassembling the system.

Let us know if the hard drive is detected once you re-seat it.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

9 Posts

On running the ePSA Pre-Boot System Assesment, I get a Warning Message "Msg: Hard Drive - Not installed, Do you want to continue testing" On continuing everything else seems to be fine. Please explain what to do.

Thanks

9 Posts

June 5th, 2014 21:00

Still the same problem, only thing is it is faster in coming up with the messages

1.3K Posts

June 6th, 2014 12:00

Hi Shyamala,

Thank you for your reply.

The hard drive may have failed and that is why it is not being detected. Did you run the hardware diagnostics?

Click on this link for steps: http://dell.to/Ohu88J

Keep us posted on the results.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

June 6th, 2014 13:00

Thanks, is there a number to call in Florence, Italy?

9 Posts

When I press F2 and get in it says Fixed HDD - [Not detected]

9 Posts

I did the ePSA and at the reboot, I got BSOD with CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED error message. Is PSA the same as ePSA? What key should I press? The link provided does not say what key to press. Thanks

1.3K Posts

Hi Shyamala,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly provide system service tag # and registered system owner's name, through private message only, so that we can access your system records and provide further assistance as per the warranty on the system.

Thanks and regards.
Babita S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

On doing the ePSA I get Warning Msg:Hart drive - not installed, do you want to continue testing?

I also got a message saying "No problems have been found with this system so far. Do you want to run the remaining memory tests? this will take about 30 minutes or more. Do you want to continue? for which I said and it came back with "all tests passed"

what should I do now?

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Call Dell - the hard drive needs to be replaced under warranty.

9 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 12:00

Still haven't heard from DELL, nearly a month now. How can I follow up or what should do?

No Events found!