Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 15:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 Heat Problem

Hi,

I bought my Dell laptop about 2-3 years ago, and over the last 14 months I've had some heat issues. I have tried different 'power plans' to see if that affected the heat, but after about 5-10 minutes of usage the laptops temperature is 80c +. I have updated the BIOS and made sure everything is up to date. Even on a hard surface, it gets way too hot; I may be over reacting but I've used many laptops and none seem to have such issues.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

5.2K Posts

April 17th, 2011 16:00

First make sue the fan is working. Then get some electronic compressed gas and blow the dust bunnies out through the vents. Try not to spin the fan too fast. Some laptops have a bottom panel that can access the fan area for more through cleaning. 

If these don't help, problem is probably with the heat transfer paste/pad between the GPU/CPU and the heat sink. These should be replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2011 06:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1545/en/SM/cpucool.htm#wp1084976

2 Posts

April 18th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for the reply.

I've just bought some thermal paste and compressed air from Novatech.co.uk. Is there a guide anywhere that would walk me through safely replacing thermal paste? I'm fairly confident taking apart and building PCs but I've only ever taken a screw out of my laptop when I replaced the keyboard, I'd be devastated if I ended up breaking my laptop.

1 Message

June 1st, 2014 21:00

My laptop does that too and crashes because of it in 30-.5 mins! idk what it is but it sure is nasty!

No Events found!