Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2012 08:00

Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 Questions

Hi,

I just received a Dell 5520 15R from the outlet with an i5-3210M processor. I have a few questions:

1. What idle temperatures are normal for this computer? My CPU idles at around 50c (ambient 20c) and as a result the fan is quite loud. The fan is always spinning and is never silent, is this normal?

2. The keyboard flexes in the Ctrl corner but not the arrow key corner, is this normal?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 18th, 2012 17:00

Hi Gibb99,

50c is an idle temperature and there should not be any issues with the system. The environmental temperature range for this are as follows:
Operating: 0º to 35º C (32º to 95º F)
Non-operating : -40º to 65º C (-40º to 149º F)

I would recommend to clean the air vents and update the system BIOS of the computer.

Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System.
  3. Unplug the AC Adapter.
  4. Remove the Battery.
  5. Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Please update BIOS:

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged
*Battery charger should be connected
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

1. Click on the link http://dell.to/UagjsH
  2. Click on ‘Get Driver’
  3. Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  4. Click on ‘Continue’
  5. Click on ‘Save’
  6. Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  7. Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  8. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  9. Restart the computer

Due to the design and lighter weight of new systems, the corner of the keyboard may flex when pressure is applied to keys in this area. This in no way affects system performance or system reliability.

Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2012 07:00

Hi, the laptop is one day old so the fan should be clean. Is the fan constantly running normal? It has the A07 bios.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 19th, 2012 10:00

Hi Gibb99,

Thank you for your response. Here’s what you can try.

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

1. Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  2. Then remove the adaptor from the computer
  3. Remove the battery from the computer
  4. Press and hold the power button on the computer for 10 seconds
  5. Reconnect the battery and the adaptor
  6. Restart the computer

Also, check if the fan is constantly spinning in BIOS.

1. Power off the computer
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Tap F2 on Dell logo 2-3 times
  4. This will take you to ‘BIOS’ screen
  5. Please wait on the BIOS screen for few minutes and check if the fan is still spinning constantly

Alternately, check the CPU usage in the computer.

1. Open ‘Task Manager’
  2. Right-click the taskbar, then click ‘Start Task Manager’
  3. Click the ‘Performance’ tab

4. If the CPU usage shows 100% then check the processes that are currently running.
  5. Then click on ‘Processes’ tab once
  6. Then click on ‘CPU’ tab once and check for the application with the maximum CPU usage
  7. Right click on that application (make a note of the process) and click ‘End process tree’

Note: The top two graphs show how much CPU is being used, both at the moment and for the past few minutes. A high percentage means that the programs or processes that are running require a lot of CPU resources, which can slow your computer. If the percentage appears frozen at or near 100%, then a program might not be responding.

Alternately, run diagnostics on your computer:

• Power off the computer
  • Please restart the computer
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F12’ key which is at the top of the keyboard

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.

• After you have tapped ‘F12’ key then a new window will appear. Now highlight the “Diagnostics” using the down arrow key and press ‘Enter’ to initiate ePSA diagnostic test.

• Diagnostics will be initiated automatically.
  • Once the test is complete, click on Processor Fan and Select the 'Thorough' test on it.
  • Please check and make a note for the Current and High speed for system fan under 'System health' tab. (Refer to screenshot below)

If the fan current speed is more than the High speed (as shown in figure) , then there is an issue with the system fan.

I am sending you a private message. Please respond with the system Service Tag and your name. This would help me to check the system specification and help you further.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

1 Message

September 19th, 2012 11:00

HI, i have Dell vostro 1015 model.During past few days my laptop getting shut down automatically ,when i reboot a message comes system shutdown due to high warmed up.when i run system diagnosis it shows an error code 2000-0142 .Please help me if something could be done to get rid of this problem.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 19th, 2012 12:00

Hi Tanmay,

Please check if the system shuts down in BIOS.

1. Power off the computer
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Tap F2 on Dell logo 2-3 times
  4. This will take you to ‘BIOS’ screen
  5. Please wait on the BIOS screen for few hours and check if the shuts down

I would recommend to clean the air vents and update the system BIOS of the computer.

Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System.
  3. Unplug the AC Adapter.
  4. Remove the Battery.
  5. Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

Then please update BIOS if you are able to boot into windows:

*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.

1. Click on the link http://dell.to/OFrdzQ
  2. Click on ‘Get Driver’
  3. Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  4. Click on ‘Continue’
  5. Click on ‘Save’
  6. Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  7. Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  8. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  9. Restart the computer

The error code 2000-0142 indicates that hard drive has crashed and will require replacement. I am sending you a private message. Please respond with the system Service Tag and your name so that I can assist you further. do not post your Service Tag on the post for security reasons.

Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

September 19th, 2012 12:00

yethe paswswords i have a dell inspiron that i got from a yard sale well i cant get bpass the password. how can i get into this laptop???

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 19th, 2012 13:00

Hi Mikelee61,

Good to know that you bought a Dell computer.  In order to get to the root of the issue, I  need the following information:

The Operating System installed on the computer.
The model number of the computer.
Any trouble shooting steps you might have tried on your own

I am adding you as a friend and sending a private message. Please respond with the system Service Tag and owner’s name and your name so that I can assist you further.

Please reply with the information. Glad to help.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2012 02:00

Hi Appu,

I am having dell inspiron 5520, which is just 2 months old.

I am also facing same issue with the noisy fan. And it's running continuously. Please send me private message to share my Service Tag with you.

So you can guide me to fix this fan related issue.

Thanks

Deb

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 23:00

Hi Deb,

I would recommend you to try the below mentioned steps.

Clean the air vents of the computer. Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through
  • Turn off the System
  • Unplug the AC Adapter
  • Remove the Battery
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents

Then update the latest BIOS. The latest BIOS available for this system is A11.

• Click on the link http://dell.to/SilbHD
  • Click on ‘Download File’
  • Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program
  • Restart the computer

Please reply with the findings.

10 Posts

November 17th, 2012 20:00

I have a same problem too. There no dust at all in my air vent. I'm so disappointed with product because of this problem.  I just bought it yesterday. Is it defect or what?  

No Events found!