Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2015 14:00

Dell Inspiron 15R Graphics problem

Hello, on my laptop I have an integrated graphics card being the Intel HD Graphics 4000. According to my device manager, I also have an AMD Radeon HD 7670M which i've been told is better.

I've had trouble playing a couple of games which i've been told should have no issue running on my computer and I believe it's because it's using the integrated graphics card rather than the AMD.

I've searched online for switchable graphics and it seems mine should be able to switch between the two as they both show up in my device manager.

Any idea how I can switch to the good graphics card?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 20th, 2015 16:00

Your system is configured with AMD Enduro graphics.  This is a twin GPU feature designed to conserve battery power when needed.

You can read more on Enduro graphics the following here and here.

Intel HD is the primary GPU and can never be disabled. When in power saving mode it is only the Intel HD GPU that is processing graphics, when set to High Performance in the AMD Catalyst Control Panel, both GPUs power up to help process graphics. 

The trick here when playing 3D games is to make sure that the AC adapter is plugged in, and that you have gone into the Catalyst Control Panel and make sure that your games are configured to be run with High Performance.

TB

7 Posts

March 21st, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the reply.

Could you provide information as to how to change the game settings in the catalyst control panel, assuming it's the AMD one? Have gone onto it but can't see any section where I can change it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 21st, 2015 15:00

Right-click on the game's icon.  You should see a context menu among which is "configure switchable graphics".  You can also set the system to run with high performance video when needed by default as well.

Note:  the Intel GPU IS STILL ACTIVE when the AMD GPU is being used.  You will ALWAYS see it as the active video chip under Windows.  Only it has a connection to the screen - all video data, even if it's been processed by the AMD GPU, will pass through the Intel GPU on its way to the screen.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 16:00

Thank you ejn63.

jbrowne978 

Was this of any help?  You should be able to play most games although you will likely find that you may have to lower graphics settings on some of them.

TB

No Events found!