Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2016 01:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 BIOS problem

Hello,

I had problem with charging my laptop so i gave it to my local repair guy, god knows why he decided to change the BIOS and didnt do any spare copy...now im stuck with BIOS for Inspiron 5520, my graphic drivers are failing to install. Here is my question, is there any possibility to get full BIOS for 7520 from DELL (warranty expired) or any other way to fix this?

January 27th, 2016 05:00

Hello Skyspy, 

Nice to hear from you.

Please find the below link for 7520 bios 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XM6VN&fileId=3368841049&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-15r-se-7520&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

. Have few questions though, does the machine boot into windows? After changing the BIOS by the local guy, is the battery charging now?

Have you tried another battery or charger??

Regards

3 Posts

January 27th, 2016 06:00

*** Hema and thanks for fast answer,

Sadly your solution wont work because this is drive,r which only updates BIOS when its 7520, my problem is that my BIOS seems to be changed to Inspiron 5520 version I can update BIOS for 5520 model, but when i try to install the 7520 A11(or any other version) it says that im running it on unsupported system (yes I downloaded BIOS right for my Windows 7). 

To your other question, my laptop is working fine now, im writing from it now, the other repair service did the job and said that this previous guy really messed up but they managed to fix all my issues with charging. They also tried to restore the BIOS to 7520 but said that they are unable to do this unless they have full BIOS from some other 7520 motherboard/DELL support/backup from this 1st "repair man". Sadly i dont have any of those

January 27th, 2016 19:00

Hello,
Good day.
Sadly there is no complete BIOS file which we can provide to re-flash.

Motherboard replacement is the only way. But as you claim that the system is working fine , its definitely not required, unless it causes real trouble .

3 Posts

February 6th, 2016 09:00

Hello,

Sadly it is causing real troubles, at least I think its fault of the BIOS. I cant install my graphic drivers (Intel+AMD), I was able to force-install Intel driver but when I install the Radeon driver all goes down and both drivers turn off (error 43) I tried many versions of drivers even old ones from driver dvd I got with my laptop. When I try to open Catalyst Control Center after installing Radeon 7700+ driver it says "no amd graphics driver is installed or the amd driver is not functioning properly". I think I tried everything to fix driver problem but all methods failed and Im stuck with wrong BIOS and AMD graphic card not working which makes most of better programs or games fail to work at any decent rate.

22 Posts

December 1st, 2016 06:00

Exactly same issue with my laptop. There was some damage in one of the chipset in the motherboard. So I gave it to local repairing guy. After repairs, my laptop model has changed from 7520 to 5520 and this is causing real troubles. I can only see Intel Graphics in device manager, though the laptop also has a dedicated AMD Radeon 2GB graphics. Further, if I try to run latest executable file of BIOS (A11), it show that system is unsupported. Now what can be done ? Laptop is currently working fine except for the above two issues mentioned.

Please help. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 1st, 2016 07:00

The repair shop changed the mainboard and swapped in 5520 board with Intel-only video for the 7520 board you had, which had hybrid video.

Contact the repair shop and have them replace the board again -- this time with the correct model you had.

22 Posts

Hi. The problem was not in the whole motherboard but only a particular chipset on the motherboard. So the guy changed that particular chipset only. I contacted him regarding this and he said that the particular chipset is same for 5520 and 7520. So according to him, it is only drivers problem. Don't know what's the real issue.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You're being lied to.  The chipset is an integral part of the board - there is no way a shop would have been able to remove and resolder it - it's literally hundreds of micro-solder points that would have been hours and hours of labor.

The fact that the BIOS also changed means they simply swapped out the mainboard - a 30-60 minute job -- and charged accordingly.

22 Posts

December 1st, 2016 09:00

Okay. Thank you very much. I will contact and let him know about this.

1 Message

August 19th, 2017 06:00

Hi Digesh,

I am also facing the exact same issue. My laptop is 7520 but the repair guy installed BIOS for 5520.

I have tried each and every driver of AMD but none of them is working. Did you get it resolved and how?

Please help....

Thanks,

Ankur Garg.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2017 09:00

Since the mainboard was changed, verify that what is installed does in fact have AMD video -- it's very possible the repair shop swapped in a board with Intel-only video.

Go into your device manager (control panel).  Are there two entries under display adapter (Intel and AMD)?  If not, whoever repaired the system installed a UMA board with Intel-only video.

No Events found!