Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2016 17:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 wont turn on. LEDs and Fan pulsing on and off

My laptop started showing signs of trouble last year. At first, it would go blue screen while I was using. I neglected that. Then, It started turning off if shaken. Now it turned of after I picked it up, and it's been dead nomather what I do.

I tried unplugging everything, including power supply, discharged flea power, but nothing happened...

When I press the on button, the LED light up as they should. The screen remains dead. After about 10 seconds, the battery LED and the CD LED start pulsing on and off (around 1Hz). The fan also follows the LEDs, accelerating and decelerating... No beep is heard.

What could it be? How can I test it?

Warranty is long gone.

June 11th, 2016 04:00

Hi Framarti

Thanks for writing to us. 

As you mentioned you have unplugged everything, did the machine beep without the memory modules?? Also have you tried with one module at a  time, this will give us a little picture of if its a memory or a motherboard slot issue.Did we try an external monitor??

Do send us your system tag#, email address via private message by clicking on my name in blue.

Await your response. 

June 11th, 2016 20:00

Hi We are awaiting your response

6 Posts

June 11th, 2016 22:00

Hello,

I didnt try removi g The memory. I'll do it tomorrow and then I can post what happens!

6 Posts

June 12th, 2016 15:00

Hi

Here is what happened:

Removed 2 memory cards -> computer beeps twice. Screen completely black.

Replaced 1memory card*-> press button and computer turns off after 4 seconds. No response from screen. No loud beep. I did hear a high pitch beep that was not a system beep. It sound like small gears of a motor crashing it's teeth. I tried it over 4 times. All with the same results.

* I labeled the memories and tried all 4 combinations of memories and slots. Always getting the same result.

**I did everything reported previously both with battery or power cable or both. No difference noticed.

I have also tried using an external monitor plugged to the HDMI port and all memories on. Didn't work either.

The high pitch sound seems to be coming from the HD. I powered it on an listened closely. I could hear the motor spinning just just find, then the noise and all shuts down. I could not figure if the sound was coming from the HD.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 12th, 2016 15:00

Unplug the hard drive -- if you can then get the system to boot to a BIOS screen, you've found the faulty part.  If not, it's the mainboard that's almost certainly bad.

June 12th, 2016 20:00

Hi please try the step suggested by ejn63 and let us know how it goes.

6 Posts

June 13th, 2016 05:00

Good morning everyone

I did try starting the computer without the HD. Lights turn on, fan too, but the screen remains off.

Can we conclude that the motherboard is the problem?

Should I try something else?

If the motherboard is the problem, do I risk loosing personal information?

6 Posts

June 15th, 2016 17:00

Hello everyone,

So what do you thi k about my Computer? Should I go after a new motherboard?

June 15th, 2016 20:00

Hi Nice to hear from you. 

Looks to be a faulty motherboard. There are 50-50 chances regarding data on Hard drive.You can take out the HD and try on a different machine and check for the same or take it to a local store and get it backed up.

June 16th, 2016 19:00

Do give us a shout should you have any questions. 

6 Posts

July 6th, 2016 15:00

So, I finally took the computer to a tecnician. 

The problem, as I was told, was the power input of the video card. He had to do something with the BIOS too.

the computer is back to life, but not as before. I do not have some basic functions, such as the auxiliar buttons that sleep the screen, or the functions shortcuts of F1-F12. My touchpad doesnt answer to multiple finger commands and the computer is very slow to start (When I bought it it would take 24 seconds to boo. Now it is taking over 2 minutes....)

The worst part: I could not run the system detect, neither instal the Dell Rapid Start.... For the rapid starts, I get an error saying that the computer doesnt have minimum system requirements...

Any thoughts?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 6th, 2016 18:00

Since there's no video card in the system -- it's a chip that's part of the mainboard -- there's no way a technician could have changed that.

It sounds like a Windows reload was done incorrectly - minus the full set of required drivers.  Are there device manager entries missing their drivers?

No Events found!