Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2014 19:00

Dell Inspiron 15R SE stuck at splash screen

Hi all,

For the second time in three months a Dell laptop of mine just freezes at the Dell splash screen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Dell, but having to keep looking at it when I kinda want to get to work  .... you know what I mean.

So, what happened? Wife boots up the laptop this morning, gets the "disk checking" message and decides after a few minutes that she isn't waiting any longer and does a hard power off (keeping power button pressed). She then tries to boot up the laptop again and .... it won't get past the splash screen.

What I have tried:
1. Pressing F2 for setup
2. Pressing F12 for boot options
3. Opening DVD drive and booting
4. Remove the battery and keep power button pressed to discharge static

Normally, my next option would be to break the warranty seal and just rip out the HDD and try to plug it into another device. But perhaps you all have another solution? Can't imagine that I'm the first one that this happened to.

And FYI: the other laptop that this happened to (Dell Studio XPS M1540) ended up with a useless HDD with unrecoverable data.

332 Posts

July 9th, 2014 20:00

Thank you for writing on Dell Community

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
4.    Turn on or restart the computer.
5.    Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
6.    At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the hardware Diagnostics.

Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes

Let us know your findings.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2014 21:00

Dear Farooq,

The laptop won't respond to anything. I tapped F12 once a second but after 2 minutes, still nothing. The blue bar is filled and it's just stuck.

Marcel

332 Posts

July 10th, 2014 00:00

Hi mgdekrs,

I would like you to run the hardware diagnostics on by pressing and holding down ‘Fn’ button and press ‘Power button’ to run the diagnostics. The diagnostics will start.

If no luck, i would suggest you connect an external keyboard and check to confirm if the Keyboard is working fine on the system.

Hope this helps

July 10th, 2014 01:00

hello Sir,

I got a Dell inspiron 15 3521 1tb 6g laptop o my boss, after 2 weeks anytime he browses the screen flickers, starts shaking. I've tried looking for a way to stop this. please advise what should do.

Best regards

3 Posts

July 10th, 2014 07:00

Hi Farooq,

Even that won't work. It just gets stuck at the splash screen. I called Dell Technical Support and they suspect hardware failure, quite possibly the HDD. I hope this is not the case AGAIN. Would be horrible for me; losing a second Dell drive in 3 month's time.

Thanks for your effort and assistance, but I doubt we will be able to solve it. I am going to look for a screwdriver now and unplug the HDD and pray that it's not unrecoverable.

Marcel

332 Posts

July 13th, 2014 02:00

Hi mgdekrs,

Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check what can be done with the warranty status. To send a private message, click on my name and select send private message.

Let us know your findings.

July 22nd, 2016 09:00

Even though this thread is couple of years old, I'm hoping you still might respond.

My symptoms are identical. I boot it up, it gets stuck on the Dell Logo. I press F8 or F12 or whatever, it shows the blue bar loading, which when then gets stuck when fully loaded.  I can't even access BIOS/UEFI. What could cause a BIOS failure!? And there are no beep-codes to diagnose.

Could you please tell me how you got around this issue? I don't want to invest a hefty sum in it again, as I just had the motherboard replaced a couple of months ago. How did you resolve it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2016 10:00

Most reputable shops will offer a 90-day warranty on repairs -- Dell does.  Check with the shop that did the repair.

Something is failing the power-on self test -- could be a bad memory module, drive or even a bad mainboard again.  General troubleshooting:   Unplug, remove battery and hold power button.  Remove and reinstall the memory modules and the hard drive.  Power on on AC only -- if it will but won't with the battery installed, it's the battery that's faulty.  If it still won't power up, try each memory module by itself in either socket until you isolate the bad memory module.

If you still get nothing, it's likely a bad mainboard.

July 22nd, 2016 10:00

Well, I can't remove the battery. It's seated deep inside the laptop. I'd much rather not tinker around by opening the laptop.

It's still strange that I'm not getting any beep codes or any indication to help me narrow the error. Isn't a failed POST supposed to respond in some manner?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2016 11:00

It isn't if the failure comes before those codes are accessed.  Since this is not the model that's posted in the thread - what model is it? That is, Inspiron - N5110, 5521, etc?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2016 12:00

Unplug the system, remove the cover and disconnect the battery.  Remove and reinstall both modules.

If that doesn't get the system going, try the modules one at a time in each socket until you isolate teh bad module or the bad socket.  If you can't get anything this way, odds are the memory socket or controller is bad - the mainboard will need to be replaced.

July 22nd, 2016 12:00

It's actually the Inspiron 15z 5523.

Also, I should mention, if I boot without the ram, I do get the expected 2 beeps.
No beep codes, what does that tell me? The beep codes shouldn't be easily suppressed, I mean, they're supposed to be designed in such a way to alert us of the most basic errors.

Is there anything I can do now? I already tried reseating the RAM, and the tiny reset button beside the ram.

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!