Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2012 19:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 Not Booting Most of the Time

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720

When it does it boot up, it run pretty flawlessly. 

However, 4 out of 5 times I boot, I get a "no boot disk found" error. 

When I check the BIOS both drive slots show no disk. 

Then I just reboot 3-4 times and eventually Windows starts.

Please help, when the machine runs, its does so pretty well.

Carmen

9 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Both drives are brand new, the main one is a SSD. I'm 99% sure its not the drives.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Remove and reinstall the hard drive.  Then run an extended diagnostic. on the hard drive - F12 at powerup  The age of the system is likely bumping up against the design life of the hard drive (they generally run 3-5 years at best in a notebook).

May 30th, 2012 21:00

Hello cbranje,

Welcome to the community.

In this case I’ll suggest to run the hardware diagnostics, Please restart the computer, and tap the F12 key at the Dell logo. This will take you to a Boot Device Menu. Highlight diagnostics and press enter. This will start a diagnostics on the portable system. If you get any error message on the test please let us know. If there is no error message on the diagnostics then reseat the hard drive.

Let me know of the findings, glad to be of assistance.

Pankaj_Sharma

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

13 Posts

May 31st, 2012 01:00

Actually, knowing it's an SSD, that may very well *BE* the problem.

What's the make/model of the drive? Would it happen to be an OCZ? Check for a firmware update for it. Some manufacturers won't let you install firmware updates if the drive is the boot drive, so you'll need another machine to slave it to -- and USB to SATA will not work in this case.

Intermittent detection can be one of the early symptoms of SSD failure. It might be as simple as a firmware update, honestly, but if not, when that boots, get that data off'a there and consider a warranty return.

Ever get random hangs while working? 3 to 5 seconds of absolutely no response at a time, by chance?

9 Posts

May 31st, 2012 04:00

Hmmm I do get some 3-4 seconds hang ups. But I have two drives in there, one is not SSD. And both drivers are not showing up, which makes me think its the hard disk controller?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Try removing the  hard drive and leaving the SSD (assuming that's the boot device) -- does that help?

9 Posts

Also, sometimes the main Dell boot screen hangs . . . could that be HD related?

9 Posts

May 31st, 2012 05:00

You've put me on the trail of the HD!!! ;)

I tired just opening it with USB on my other computer and had to turn the power off a couple times to get it to go, the exact same symptom I'm experiencing on my laptop.

The firmware is several versions behind, I'm updating right now.

No Events found!