Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 3rd, 2008 09:00

Dell Inspiron 1720 won't start

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that won't boot. Laptop is just out of factory warranty.

If you press the power button, the power lights come on for about a second and then go out. Same without AC(battery only) & without battery(AC only). I also pulled the HDD~same result. Swapped memory with new 1gb~same result. If I press and hold the power button, the laptop completes boot and starts to load Vista. The power light stays on and the screen goes blank and the power light shuts off.

If I hold the power button down, I am able to get the diagnostic to run. It gets to the "do you see the color bars" and when you click "y" for yes, it shuts down.

I have also pulled all consumer replaceable parts at the same time(wireless card, memory, hdd, battery) and get the same.

Thanks in advance!!

13 Posts

December 7th, 2008 08:00

Can be a big or just a simple problem.

Seems you've already put the 1720 apart a few times.

Try to remove the plastic cover between the keyboard and the screen and see if there are any problems with the power button/switch on the mobo.

If no problems, since you probably are the risky type person try open it up and see if the mobo is ok and everything is connected properly.

Always remember to don't wear plastic or wool and use a ground-connector or something that prevents static electricity (which can fries up the mobo).

Probably the mobo or the video card is either broken or it doesn't get the necessary power.

Since you're there, check the thermal paste on CPU and GPU. If it's dried up, especially on the video card, and you do notice some burning, then you have a problem.

Cross your fingers.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2010 04:00

Hi David.

I looked at your post after more than 1 year!

I have the same laptop issue now on my inspiron 1720.

How did you fix the issue?

Kindly help me!

Thanks,

Vivek

March 8th, 2010 22:00

Hello everyone! Do you seem to have this problem when the unit is cold???? If so do a search with the words 1720 cold boot. This seems to be an issue with the 1720’s. Here is my community link if it will post.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19326335/19673492.aspx#19673492

Let me know, Dave

2 Posts

March 9th, 2010 05:00

Hi Dave,

I think that could be the case. I was travelling internationally and I had the laptop on a cheap carry on bag.

I tried everything, but it was no use. I removed the front bezel and it magically started working :)

Vivek

No Events found!