Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2013 06:00

Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook

I bought my Dell notebook since 4 months ago. Last month, I encounterd the problem when the laptop was slow in starting although there was not much data in my laptop.  When I contacted Dell technical support, they said it's an operating system problem. So they recommended to reinstall the whole system all over again. Obviously, I havent got a CD Rom to reboot the system by myself but we did it together online.

Now one month gone by, I have now another new problem. Yesterday I worked with my photo albums. I selected a file to work with. I chose a photo and double click to open but there was no picture appearing but instead a window showing 'File Conversion', and in the window containing a whole of garbled alphabets.  I tried to choose other albums and open some photos with double click, and the same situation happens.  I reported to Dell technical support but since my 90 days support is expired, and being a software isssue they could only help me if I agree to pay Euro 65.00 for solving this problem per online.  This issue isnt solved since I couldnt agree to the service fee.

This morning, when I switch on my laptop, the Dell logo runs shortly and nothing shows up. The switch on the board is on, and the light on the cable is on but nothing appears on the screen. I switch off the laptop, put the plug to another contact point. Switch on again, the Dell log again appears shortly but nothing shows up except the black screen. For the 3rd time, I tried again. The Dell logo runs shortly, then a blue bar appears and below it shows F12 boot.

For the 4th time, I restart the laptop again, when the logo appears, I immediately press the key F12 for a few seconds but nothing appears.  I tried the process again for the 5th time, pressing F12 for a few seconds and still nothing appears.

Can someone please tell me if this is a hardware problem or a software problem? Or do I have to be charged if I request Dell to re-install the whole laptop as it was like factory delivered?

I appreciate all your comments and help!:emotion-1:

1.5K Posts

May 25th, 2013 07:00

Hi chileepadee,

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

You may run the hardware diagnostics to check for the hardware functionality. Please follow the steps below:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Press and hold down the key.
  • Press the power button while holding down the key
  • Release both the keys together.On currently shipping platforms, a new feature called the Battery Health Meter (BHM) has been added to help identify problems with a battery. To learn more about this feature, review the "BHM" section of the "Dell QuickSet Utilities" training material at the following link:
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

You may try to reset the system BIOS to default settings. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and tap ‘F2’ at the ‘Dell’ logo
  • Press ‘F9’ on the ‘System Setup Utility’ screen and then press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ and press ‘Enter’ again

Please keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist further.

24 Posts

May 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi Amogh G,

after reading your e-mail, I followed all three instruction of yours.

1. draining the residual power form the laptop did not help.

2. It was not possible to run any hardware diagnostics.

The computer did not respond to holding and then the power button und release both at the same time.

3. Reseting the system BIOS to default settings was not possible:

Window message reads:

Formset 98FBBCFB-1392-4FDE-ABB8-C41CC5AD7D6D

Failed to save storage:

BOOT_MENU_BOOT_ITEMS.

I suppose that this is a hardware problem indeed.

Please tell me what are the further steps to take.

Kind regards

7 Posts

May 26th, 2013 07:00

I am also experiencing all the problems you have mentioned with your Inspiron 17R. While I have read numerous posts addressing this problematic computer (motherboard/bios), there has been no solution given. Draining the power, resetting RAM chips.........nothing. It is definitely frustrating because "diagnostics" are unavailable, and there is no way to access the USB or DVD drives. Please let me know if you find a working solution to this problem.

24 Posts

May 26th, 2013 09:00

Tks for sharing your view.

How old is your Dell Inspiron 17R ?

It's my 1st attempt with a laptop. I have been using a Dell desktop pc for few yrs, and I regretted buying this Inspiron 17R.

It costs a bomb! Hardly 4mths old, its been problematic.

I have hardly even begin to work with my videos and photos editing projects, and I am encountering so much of obstacles?

I have waited and save for few years to afford this laptop and this is what I get.

Have u consulted your technical supoort?

7 Posts

May 26th, 2013 10:00

I just finished chatting online with someone. After going through a few steps, he told me he would send me a new motherboard with a technician to install it. I was happy to get this news. Luckily, my laptop is still under warranty.

24 Posts

May 26th, 2013 11:00

Do u mean u hv contacted someone from technical support? Did he say if this is a hard drive issue?

Would appreciate if u keep me updated how it goes - good luck!

7 Posts

May 26th, 2013 20:00

Yes, I contacted Dell support through the site's online chat contact.  Although the technician did not say it was a hardware problem, after walking me through several attempts to get the laptop working, he determined the laptop was in need of a new motherboard.

24 Posts

May 27th, 2013 06:00

This morning I contacted Dell technical support. He wanted me to go through a few steps on the laptop to be sure it's a hardrive problem, and then said he will sent a technician tomorrow, who will install a new motherboard. Since the laptop is only 4 months old, I am still coverd under the guarantee.

How did it goes with your installation?

1.5K Posts

May 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi chileepadee,

I can see that you have already contacted DELL Technical Support and the system motherboard is being replaced. I hope this resolves the issue.

Please let me know if you need further assistance from my side. I will be glad to assist.

24 Posts

May 28th, 2013 10:00

Yes, ít was just replaced an hour ago. I am glad that starts easuky,

Now I have another new problem and I think this is a software issue. This problem started since last Friday even before the laptop crashed.

When I double click on a photo to open, instead of seeing an image, I get a window 'file conversion' and in this window contains all sorts of alphabets. And when I right mouse click, I have options to open with photo gallery, windows photo viewer, movie maker, etc.

How can I rectify this problem?

1.5K Posts

May 30th, 2013 13:00

Hi chileepadee,

Please share the format in which the pictures are saved on the system. you may follow the steps below:

• Right click on the picture you want to open.
  • Click ‘Open with’.
  • Click ‘Choose Default Program’
  • Click ‘Photo Gallery’
  • Check the box ‘Use this as default’

Try to open the picture after making the changes.

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist. 

24 Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

Hello Amogh G,

After I click the selected photo, 'choose Default Program', click 'photo gallery', where do I  find  the   ' Check the box

'Use this asdefault' ?

1.5K Posts

May 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi chileepadee,

The ‘Check Box’ is located on the top in ‘Choose Default Program’ window. Please ensure it is checked.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

24 Posts

May 31st, 2013 06:00

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have tried again the 1st  4 steps as you suggested but I can't find the box 'use this as default'.  I wish to send u a screenshot but I am not able to attach it here.

But the good news is that I can now double click on the photo and it opens.

1.5K Posts

May 31st, 2013 07:00

Hi chileepadee,

I am happy that you are able to view the pictures. If you want to share a screenshot, below is the screenshot on how to attach files. To reply click on 'Use rich formatting': 

Once you click on the icon, a window will open. Click on 'Browse' to browse the image. Once the file is uploaded, click on 'Insert':

Hope this helps. Keep me posted with the information.

No Events found!