Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2013 14:00

Dell Inspiron 17R SE won't boot until second try, intel rapid start technology 'disabled' and can't re-enable it.

Hi, I have a new Inspiron 17R SE laptop with Windows 8 and it just recently started giving me issues. First of all, the laptop won't boot all the way up when I try turning it on with the power button. It flashes the dell logo for half a second and then shows the little cursor at the top left corner... then the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. It doesn't boot up. However, if I press the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on, or simply press ctrl+alt+delete it boots up no problem... the reason this worries me is that it is a new computer and should be able to boot with no issues at all.

Nextly, when the computer DOES boot up, I go to my desktop and get the error message stating that "Your system does not appear to have intel rapid start technology enabled." The reason I include this in the same thread is that it started happening at the same time as my other problem and I think the two may be somehow related. When I press F12 when I turn the machine on, and go into the BIOS setup, and go to 'Intel rapid start technology' as the user manual for iRST said to do, the technology appears to be enabled. I tried disabling it and the computer functions exactly the same as it does when it is 'enabled' in BIOS. I don't know exactly what iRST does, but I think it has to do with the computer's sleep and hibernation modes, which I never use. I have read through a few other discussions on (this site?) that I found while searching the web for answers, and solutions to this problem are either extreme or nonexistant. I also tried re installing the iRST from a Dell download, but when I tried that, I got an error message stating that my system does not meet the necessary requirements for the download. As the software existed on the PC to begin with, I can't see why it doesn't meet the necessary requirements...

I would really like to get the system back to normal, and I made a restore point a couple of days before the incident occurred. I've never restored the system from a restore point before, so if this is the only option, how would I proceed? I think that's a last resort though. If anyone knows how to fix my problems I'd greatly appreciate it.

29 Posts

February 18th, 2013 05:00

Got the same twice boot issue...

Call Dell for a motherboard exchange under warranty, it's the only way to fix it.

A technician came to me this morning to do this, and now my laptop works properly.

Good luck !

12 Posts

February 18th, 2013 06:00

Thank you for the advice. I read about a French customer having the same issue, and doing the same thing you're suggesting on another thread. This seems like an extreme course of action to me, unless the computer truly is faulty. I wonder if the Inspiron 17R SE series have been made by Dell with faulty motherboards? I will wait a little while to see if there is a simpler solution, but thank you for your input and I will exchange motherboards if I have to. My Dell Support Center hardware scan strangely doesn't report any problems with the motherboard, but who knows...

Thanks!

12 Posts

February 18th, 2013 07:00

Are you the same guy who had the problem on the other thread? If so, sorry for my ignorance... Maybe I should try restoring the system to an earlier restore point... and make sure not to change my BIOS again... If a motherboard exchange is covered by warranty than it might be a better option than messing up the entire system trying to repair the BIOS myself and ending up doing it wrong...

29 Posts

February 18th, 2013 07:00

I do think the Bios is guilty, everyone who solved this issue is back to Bios A10 rev...

So am I ;-) my new motherbord has A10 Bios !

A new beta Bios is now tested, but not efficient yet...

Anyway i will never flash my Bios, I will stay with A10 forever !

I hope you will be able to fix it without a motherboard exchange, these troubles seem to be random, but 45 minutes for a motherboard exchange at home with no charge to pay and a laptop fully funtctionnal !

Good luck Mozart, let us know for further steps in your way to fix it !

Bad english ? apologize : i'm just french lol  

27 Posts

February 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi,mine had the same prob,got this piece of info from another thread,dont know if it works on all 7720's but it fixed mine.   
Posted by Alinos
replied on 01-31-2013 11:24 AM
Suggested Answer

Hello

Thank you Allan for the help you provided me.

A French technician told me how to solve my problem this morning, so I can't say if the result with your method would have been the same.

What I did is:

-Boot the computer, normally he will turned in black.

-In the second boot go on F2

-When you are in the Bios, Go to "BOOT"

-On the menu of "BOOT",  go to "SECURE BOOT"  and Put "Disabled"

-Access to "Add boot option" and press "ENTER"

- You'll have a new window on the middle, in "Boot option name", write  "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive"

- Tab and Press  "YES"

Now, you will have "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" written in the top of the list under "Boot Priority Order" and UEFI Boot

-Press F10 to save and exit. Normally the computer will reboot and you will have access to the Bios with F2 or F12 and  have "windows boot manager".

If I didn't miss a step, it will work for other customer, it worked for me.

In case, I have missed a step, I hope you will be able to change or rectify this method.

In other case, tell me, I could have access to my French contact.

@ CyberMaxX360; Let me know if this method has worked for you, just to know if there is other issues with the 7720.

Cheers
PoorPoorFairFairAverageAverageGoodGoodExcellentExcellent

Report Abuse

This was copied and pasted so has all the bits from previous thread,my 17r never shut off from its first boot then after forcing it off(holding down the start button)

it then developed this second try boot,dell have a prob with the board but if this is the only prob then i wont bother to push it furthar,as i say it sorted mine and no more probs,hope it fixes yours,if not make sure you go back to how it was.

12 Posts

February 18th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion... I think I fixed the boot problem but the Intel Rapid Storage Technology is still malfunctioning.

To fix the BIOS part of it... I went to "boot list options" in BIOS... The first option was 'REMOVABLE DRIVE'! no wonder that it wasn't booting on the first try... One of the options was also the DVD/CD drive thing, but I didn't have a CD in to boot off of at the moment. Another option was my removable hard drive... Who put those as boot options? Anyway, I selected over the REMOVABLE DRIVE option and used the minus key to move it down to the bottom of the list. I hope I don't regret experimenting like this, but when I restarted the machine, it booted, albeit slower, on the first try. Just so you know, I had MAIN HARD DRIVE or something like that at the top of the list when I exited BIOS. If I can get iRST to work then I should be good to go... stupid auto-updates were probably what re-arranged my boot list options in the first place! (I know I didn't do it). I'll let you know if I can fix iRST... who knows, this may save some unlucky soul from having the same issue and trading out their motherboard.

12 Posts

Allright... somehow REMOVABLE DRIVE was still at the top of the boot options list, but I was not realizing that I was messing with the Legacy Boot options list. There was another list of boot options and I added an option like phogie suggested, and called it test and moved it to the top of the list. I got an error message on exiting the BIOS screen that said something about memory and access denied, but the good thing is that now the computer boots up on the first try. Once I got that fixed (I hope it's fixed), I got to my desktop and am still getting the error message that says iRST is not enabled.

I tried going back to BIOS and re enabling it, but even though I could change the setting to 'enabled', it still didn't work and I still go the error message.

27 Posts

Thanks for the info,just checked my boot list and found removable drive first so it looks like the same prob as yours,i may leave alone but prob have a play putting the hdd first and going back to secure boot.

My bios time was about 3.6 secs but after the changes to get it booting ok it went to about 4.5,for me this is not enough to worry about but overall I cannot remember as this fault was there virtually at the start.

12 Posts

I think I got rid of the error message from iRST. When I tried installing the Intel Rapid Start Technology separately, I got a message saying that my system did not meet the minimum requirements. However, on the Dell drivers and downloads page, I found this downloads-us.dell.com/.../Serial-ATA_Driver_VWCH1_WN_11.6.0.1030_A02.EXE driver update that said it applied to Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which is apparently linked to Intel Rapid Start Technology. I installed the file, restarted the computer (it booted on the first try, luckily), and I have not received the error message saying that Intel rapid start technology is disabled. All this technology stuff is so messed up, and I'm just waiting for something to go wrong, but for now my computer seems back to normal.

29 Posts

Terry B told me to post pictures of my brand new A10 Bios here :

en.community.dell.com/.../20302950.aspx

Hope it helps to understand !

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2013 11:00

Dear PHOGIE,

This method you've described works also on my Dell Inspiron 5720.  Laptop started to bootup from the first time. Thanks a lot.

Alexey, Russia, Moscow

No Events found!