Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 16:00

Dell Inspiron 17R with LCD problems. Laptop is under warrenty & was purchased from USA but now its in the UK

Hi all, as titled above the laptop lcd display flickers, discolours and scrambles up by any sort of vibration, movement or even more by moving the lid. It seems to be some sort of loose connection.

Originally the laptop was supplied with Windows 8, it was doing this with this OS installed. My partner first tried updating the graphics driver and applying all latest hotfixes, but this made no difference.

Because I don't particularly like Windows 8, he has now downgraded it to Windows 7. The exact same problem still occurs so I do know this is not a driver problem but more of a hardware fault or defect.

How do I go about by getting my laptop sent off for repair? Will UK dell accept it if it was purchased from USA?

Many Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 16:00

You will need to do an international warranty transfer -- otherwise, the system will need to be returned to the US for repair.

In order to qualify for an international warranty transfer, you must have purchased (or purchase now, if you did not already) an upgrade to an onsite service plan.  The basic 12-month warranty cannot be transferred internationally.

Once you have the warranty upgrade, you can transfer the system to the UK here:

http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem

1.5K Posts

October 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi jadycat89,

I would suggest you to connect an external monitor to the laptop if possible and check whether you are getting the display on external screen or not. You can also run LCD diagnostics on the system to check if there is any issue with the LCD of the system. Follow the steps below to perform LCD diagnostics:

• Turn off the system
  • Press and hold down ‘D’ key on the keyboard while system is off
  • Now press the power button while holding down the ‘D’ key

If you get the solid colors flashing on the screen, LCD is working fine.

You may run hardware diagnostics on the system to check for the hardware functionality. You may follow the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

No Events found!