Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 30th, 2016 13:00

Dell Inspiron 3000 11" (3147) - 5 beeps 4 times on boot, no wifi

Dell Inspiron 3000 11" (3147) - 5 beeps 4 times on boot, and when it boots, there is no WIFI (network card also not listed in device manager).

All I could find on that beep code is that "5 beeps means replace CMOS battery".

But it's not "5 beeps", its "5 beeps 4 times", and my CMOS battery is fine at 3+ volts. I replaced it just in case, but it still did not help any, as expected. Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

September 7th, 2017 23:00

Same problem exactly, looking for a cure.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2017 13:00

Hey did you ever solve your problem with the 5beeps 4 times with no WiFi? Having same problem here.

Everything works now.

First I replaced network card for this: Intel 2nd Generation Dual Band Wireless Adapter for Desktop Computer/Notebook (7265) ($20 on Amazon)

That did not help, or at least did not help right away.

Have you tried turning it off and on again taking it apart and putting it back together again? Did just that, including reconnecting all ribbon cables. After that, everything worked fine.

So maybe it was the network card replacement (though that did not help right away), maybe disassembly\reassembly, but somehow the problem was fixed.

Even if it was not the network card replacement, I'm not sorry at all - new card seems to have improved WiFi reception, and adds BT which the stock one did not have and which I missed bitterly. However, it would be a bummer if you ordered a card and it did not help with your problem, $20+S&H wasted.

So I suggest disassembly\reassembly including pulling\reconnecting all ribbon cables you can find. Mind, I am not a computer repair tech (though I've put together quite a lot of PCs), and you bear all the risks if you follow my advice.

Too bad not even DELL seems to know (or care enough to provide to its customers) the actual meaning of their own beep code, what else can I say.

No Events found!