Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2016 16:00

Dell Inspiron 3521 Laptop (3521-4974) wont power on unless....

Hi,

My sisters Inspiron stopped working on Monday and as its out of warranty she gave it to me to fix.

I tested the chargers, removed the battery and held down the power button to release the static still same issue.

I then removed the keyboard and just shorted the pins on the motherboard board where the power switch is connected to and the laptop came on and worked fine. I put it back together and it worked fine all evening. 

Yesterday she did not use it but tried today and same problem. Laptop is dead again.

Is the on off switch faulty or the motherboard? Any further tests i can do? The laptop passes Dell built in Diagnostics completely.

March 16th, 2016 21:00

Hi Jayjay2016

Thanks for writing to us. 

Either it could be a problem with the power switch or the motherboard. 

You can remove the hinge plastic/palmrest and try the actual power button to power on the machine, if its still the same then the power button can be ruled out. 

Also can try remove the memory modules and power up the machine without them, if it powers on try with one module at a time. if the system doesn't power on without the memory modules, can confirm motherboard to be faulty.

Regards

March 17th, 2016 23:00

Hi we are awaiting your response still

No Events found!