Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 00:00

Dell Inspiron 3537 Amd 8850m Power Management Problem

Hello.

After upgrading and installing the necessary drivers  to Windows 10 x64 two problems arrived.  One was the Touchpad, 2 finger press - right click doesn't work. The other and more important the dedicated video GPU AMD 8850M isn't powering down in idle. It builds up head in the center of the laptop where it's located and consumes more battery. In AIDA64 the power drain in windows 8.1 x64 was a 5W in idle, witch is great but in Windows 10 is around 12- 10 W, more than double. From a theoretical 6h battery life i now get around 3h. I checked everything in AMD Catalyst, put all software on powersave, making sure the dedicated gpu was not active in idle but with no luck. A workaround was to install the latest amd catalyst driver from amd official site, the gpu was powering down in idle but then the sleep / wake problems and blue screens arrived.

So in the end i'm stuck with a faulty gpu driver that builds up heat in the laptop and reduces the battery life to a half. I would go back to Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure if I will lose the Windows 10 free upgrade, because they ended the deal this month.

If there is a solution to this problem, please let me now. Thank you.

No Responses!
No Events found!