Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 7th, 2017 04:00

Dell Inspiron 5000 series extremely slow

One week back, I Bought inspiron 500 series , I7, 8 GB , 1 TB HDD TOSHIBA, 4 GB Radeon graphics, running on Windows 10.

from day 1 , start up from complete shut off takes up to 4 minutes 17 seconds, with active anti virus that was pre-installed, and 3 minutes 21 seconds when temporarily deactivating antivirus. Starting any software after restarting the computer takes up to 40 seconds, closing that software and restarting it takes few seconds only. that applies to all and any software that was installed.

Stopping all background startup softwares except WiFi and system's didn't help much.

Run Diagnostic tool provided by Dell, revealed no hardware fault.

running third party diagnostic performance tool reported terrible results, matching teh true experience i am having yet doesn't match the performance expected relevant to the specifications of the hardware. 

here is the report details:

Intel Core i7-7500U
U3E1, 1 CPU, 2 cores, 4 threads
Base clock 2.9 GHz, turbo 2.9 GHz (avg)
 Performing below expectations (20th percentile)
Micron 8ATF1G64HZ-2G3B1 1x8GB
1 of 2 slots used
8GB SODIMM DDR4 2400 MHz clocked @ 2133 MHz
 Performing below potential expectation
Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1TB- $51
704GB free
Firmware: AX0P3D Max speed: SATA 3.0 600 MB/s
SYSTEM NCQ 5400 RPM 4KALIGNED  S.M.A.R.T
 Performing below expectations

Intel HD 620 (Mobile Kaby Lake)
Dell(1028 0767) 1GB
Ram: 4GB, Driver: 17.1.1
(TERRIBLE BENCH)
Find following technical details of the hardware:
Processor (CPU)
CPU Name: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
Threading:1 CPU - 2 Core - 4 Threads
Frequency: 2693.41 MHz (27 * 99.85 MHz) - Uncore: 2496.3 MHz
Multiplier: Current: 27 / Min: 4 / Max: 35
Architecture: Kaby Lake-U/Y / Stepping: B0 / Technology: 14 nm
CPUID / Ext.: 6.E.9 / 6.8E
IA Extensions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2, FMA3
Caches: L1D : 32 KB / L2 : 256 KB / L3 : 4096 KB
Caches Assoc.: L1D : 8-way / L2 : 4-way / L3 : 16-way
Microcode: Rev. 0x000005E
TDP / Vcore: 15 Watts / 0.913 Volts
Temperature: 55 °C / 131 °F
Type: Retail (Stock Frequency : 2900 MHz)
Cores Frequencies: #00: 2693.41 MHz  #01: 2693.41 MHz 
Motherboard
Model: Dell 05VRRG
Socket: Socket 1356 FCBGA
North Bridge: Intel Kaby Lake rev 02
South Bridge: Intel Kaby Lake-Y PCH rev 21
BIOS: Dell Inc. 1.1.5 (07/19/2017)
Memory (RAM)
Total Size: 8192 MB
Type: Single Channel (64 bit) DDR4-SDRAM
Frequency: 1064.1 MHz - Ratio 1:16
Timings: 15-15-15-35-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCR)
Slot #1 Module: Micron Technology 8192 MB (DDR4-2400) - P/N: 8ATF1G64HZ-2G3B1
Graphic Card (GPU)
GPU Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
GPU Brand: 0x1028 (0x0767)
Storage(HDD/SSD)
Model #1: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100
Capacity #1: 1000 GB
Miscellaneous
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit
Windows Subver.: (Build 15063)
CPU-Z Version: 1.81.0 (64 bit)
CAN YOU HELP PLEASE OR ADVISE IF I HAVE TO REPORT TO DELL AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER BEFORE I TRY REMOVING DELL IMAGE FROM THE WINDOWS AND RUN IT WITHOUT DELLS IMAGE.
PLEASE HELP,  Investing so much for such a result really frustrates.
Thank you in advance

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 8th, 2017 16:00

"start up from complete shut off takes up to 4 minutes 17 seconds, with active anti virus that was pre-installed, and 3 minutes 21 seconds when temporarily deactivating antivirus '

That's a very, very long time. If McAfee is the anti virus on the system, I would suggest you completely get rid of it and go with windows 10 anti virus - Windows Defender). 

Windows 10 – Windows Defender Antivirus - Microsoft

I would also suggest you download / run the free version Malwarebytes - Official Site to go along with windows defender. It's the best for getting rid of nasty malwares that slow down your computer.

Download / run the free version of CCleaner - Official Site. The tool will clean up all the junk on the system that could be slowing up the computer. You can even use Startup in CCleaner to disable the programs in your startup. It much better than windows task manager startup.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 8th, 2017 16:00

"Run Diagnostic tool provided by Dell, revealed no hardware fault "

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model number. Example: Dell Inspiron 5578. If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto the [Cortana] search box,  and look for System Model.

In the meantime, after quick tests finished in diagnostic, you click on hard drive and then select Thorough Test Mode, also Memory as well? If no, please follow steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals ( except AC adapter)

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it.  After quick tests, click on Hard drive, and select Thorough Test Mode. Run Memory as well. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 8th, 2017 17:00

Run the System file checker. It scan for any corrupted system files that could be causing problems and fix those corrupt files as well. It also known to fix files related to Memory Management

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Run the check disk command to check and fix any possible hard drive corruption.

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)
b) In the command prompt type the following command: chkdsk /f and press enter

3 Posts

October 9th, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much for your detailed help and response.

Sorry for writing details info about my lab top yet missing the model (Inspiron 5567)

Done the advised detailed complete diagnostic process, including Memory, revealed no error.

3 Posts

October 9th, 2017 13:00

I did the following:

1- uninstalled Mcafee

2- Installed Cleaner

3- run Ccleaner for cleaning Temp files and other possible useless files that might slow the computer

4- Disabled startup files not related to windows essential startup files.

5- Installed anti-malware , free version, as advised.

6- RUN the anti-malware, no Malware identified

7- RUN system file check, no corrupted file reported

8-  Both following Commands

"DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"

Gave an error of unknown commands, each separately, even when capitalized "Cleanup-Image"

9- chkdsk/f applied, no error identified.

Over all, the time from complete off to completed loading of the window takes around 2 minutes 41 seconds now, around 1 minutes 35 seconds approximately faster. I guess it is still much, taking into consideration 3-4 seconds typing the access number logging to the window.

Any thing else to do?

No Events found!