Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2017 13:00

Dell Inspiron 5555 (Plugged in, Not charging).

I bought this laptop -new- (Inspiron 5555) from HHGregg (a mistake, because they are not in my area anymore so I cannot return it).
A few weeks after buying it, with normal usage, normal charging, the battery STOPPED charging.
I have read many forum posts and seen that this is a common issue with DELL. 
I read some forums that said buying a new charger would work, as the battery test in BIOS says that the Battery is performing as normal, as well as running my own Battery test (also normal).
This worked for a few days, and then went back to normal.

I read another forum post that says to go into your BIOS and change the charging setting from Adaptive to Standard. I did this, and it did not work, as well as changing it to all the other charging settings just to see it that made a difference.

I cannot update the BIOS, even if there is one, which I dont think there is, because my battery wont charge to 10%. I am stuck on 0%. So even if I wanted to unplug it to move to my desk from the couch I could not. 

I have screenshots of Dell Power Manager telling me that the power adapter cannot be determined, even says this with the ORIGINAL charger. - and the "Plugged in, not charging" warning down in the bottom right taskbar.

Bought this not too long ago, only a few months, cannot return, and can't afford to just go out and spend another $600-$1000 on another laptop at the moment.
Many people said NOT to send it in to Dell because they will replace the motherboard/battery and say it is fixed when it is not. 
Not sure what to do, so I am creating my own post.
PLEASE - HELP.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2017 14:00

Was this purchased as a new system?   It's not  a current one - you should check to verify whether it's in warranty or not (it will need to be registered with Dell to activate the warranty):

www.dell.com/.../retailregistration

This is a 2015 model system so even if it's new to you, it may or may not have a remaining warranty.

If the system is OUT of warranty, go into Setup (F2 at powerup) and check to make sure the AC adapter is listed there -- if it shows "unknown", the battery will not charge.  In that case, the first thing to try is a new OEM Dell AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the DC jack is next to replace:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

And if that doesn't solve the problem, replace the mainboard.

If the adapter IS recognized, will the battery charge when the system is powered off?  If it will, but won't when operating, it may be a Windows driver problem or setting.  

If the system WILL NOT charge when powered off and the adapter IS recognized, chances are it's a bad battery.

No Events found!