Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2015 22:00

Dell Inspiron 5558 TouchPad

Good evening all!

I just got my dell inspiron 5558 in the mail today. Loving it so far, but have a question about the touch pad. On my old laptop I was able to "scroll" through pages using the touch pad. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with this new laptop. I'm stuck using the actual webpage's scroll bar. I will eventually be getting a wireless mouse, but want to learn how to scroll for the times I won't have mouse with me.

Thanks in advance!
Marly

17 Posts

April 17th, 2016 05:00

so don't worry i will fix it to you

first go to this location press this link and follow the steps and get synaptics 19.0.5.2 (even windows 8.1)

follow the steps and here a video

and you will get happyyy :emotion-2:

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Marly,

Please refer to the below features available on touch pad of Dell Inspiron 5558.

Gesture How to do it What it does
Tap to click Tap on the touchpad. Selects an item.
Tap, tap-slide to highlight or drag Tap, and then quickly tap again and slide on the touchpad. Highlights text, and drags and drops an item.
Slide to scroll Place two fingers on the touchpad, and then slide. Scrolls the page. Pages can scroll left and right, up and down, or both.
Pinch or stretch to zoom Place two fingers on the touchpad and move them toward each other or away from each other. Zooms in (stretch) or out (pinch) on the touchpad.
Swipe for charms Swipe in from the right edge. Opens the charms. Swipe again to hide the charms.
Swipe for apps Swipe in from the left edge. Opens a list of your recent apps. Tap the app you want, or tap outside the list to select the most recent app.

July 26th, 2015 10:00

How is your experience with Dell Inspiron 5888 Touchpad ? I'm going to get this laptop but I'm little hesitant as my current laptop (Dell N5110) has the horrible (ALPS) touchpad, besides that Dell laptop is great so thinking to get this again.

Is 5888's touchpad is Synaptics ? Or is the other brand like Alps or ElanTech ?

July 27th, 2015 09:00

This is my first Dell...just switched over from having an HP. The touchpad seems pretty responsive and now that I know how to use it, I have no complaints. Loving my laptop so far! :)

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

Thanks for your kind reply, and I'm sorry i couldn't  reply earlier.

Your response has somewhat restored my faith in Dell Notebooks. I guess, I'll be placing an order for same laptop tomorrow. I'm hoping, I'll be having a good experience with this one :-)

Thanks again.

August 24th, 2015 13:00

Sir I have windows 10 on my inspiron-15 5558 and am unable to use any of the multi-touch gestures.Please help me to get it working as it's very frustrating to not have physical buttons on the touchpad and also NO gestures. 

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Marashah did you find a solution to your problem?
I have the same one but no solution so far and getting really frustrated. Contacted DELL through facebook, they sent me some links to drivers to download but nothing worked.

2 Posts

September 7th, 2015 08:00

Hi guys,

Does anyone found the solution for this problem? I'm on Windows 10 and it doesn't work properly. Tried out many different drivers.

October 24th, 2015 07:00

hi marashah, After upgrading to windows 10, try to install windows updates too. It solved many of my problems. The first windows update will give you a plenty of compatible drivers and security updates.

I am using windows 10 in my inspiron 5558 without any problem.

October 25th, 2015 22:00

The thing is that I dont have any other problems than the multitouch gestuers not workong on the laptop and frustatingly long boot times because it updates everytime i restart.

1 Message

January 19th, 2016 08:00

Hi Ravi,

I believe you are from the Dell support, and that's why I am surprised that the solution you are offering isn't valid for Dell 5558. There's no multi gesture support for trackpad on this laptop; at least I can't find where it is.

I'll be much delighted if you can guide me to a section where I can enable these multi gestures on this laptop, because seriously, this machine feels like one from the 90's without any multi gestures!

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, by the way.

Thanks.

4 Posts

January 19th, 2016 12:00

Hi Fezzk I'm sorry to inform you that your search for help is useless... I have googled and googled and wrote tens of messages back and forth with the IT support with out any solution.
I asked multiple times for them to just inform me which one of the three drivers the pointed out to me was the correct one for Dell 5558 and Windows 10, they couldn't even answer that correctly, when they answered at all that is.

"Hi Asa,

This is the only available touch pad driver for Windows 10 system. Feel free to reply if you have any further queries.

http://del.ly/6180BJlHp

-Aniesh"

Well it is not ! Since the install of this driver asks me to plug in a wireless device it is clear that it is meant for something else, that is wireless devices.

Some of the gestures work now...not thanks to them, but after I did a clean install of Windows10 for the 10th time or something it randomly started working again, sometimes, not always.

In September they said they'd look into this and release patches or updates once they are available.. 

Excuse the rant. I'm going crazy over this and dreading my decision to try out a Dell computer. Never again. As soon as I can afford it (this one is just a few months old) I'm going straight back to Asus.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 12:00

I'm on Windows 10 on an Inspiron 5558 and was able to update the driver without downloading anything. My settings had changed after a Windows update so I searched and used this...

Went to device manager and found the device (under Human Interface Devices - "HID compliant touchpad"), double clicked it. Under drivers tab, clicked "update," then "find driver in my computer device drivers. Don't remember what I chose on next screen, but I didn't browse folders or search the web, I just clicked update and it updated from my computer. Searched "touchpad" in Cortana and found Mouse & Touchpad settings and I had a variety of new options in there, including "choose what to do with three finger taps or drags."  Don't know if that helps? 

2 Posts

February 10th, 2016 14:00

hi, i am using windows 10. I can't use my touch pad to scroll up or down. little advise will be helpful

2 Posts

February 11th, 2016 12:00

H, even I am having a similar issue with my new dell inspiron 5558. The touchpad driver worked under Windows 7 64 bit, but after upgrading it too Windows 8.1 64bit, the touchpad is handled by a generic windows driver. The synaptic driver was made only for windows 7 not above. the Dell unifying driver doesnt show any compatible device at all. How have you solved the driver issue

No Events found!