Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2016 19:00

Dell Inspiron 5558 video keeps shutting down then recovering

Does it fairly frequently, I can't tie it to anything I'm doing. I'm running Windows 10 which came with the computer.

August 14th, 2016 18:00

Hi,

Have you tried updating the BIOS, Video and the chipset drivers. The solve most of the issues with driver crashes. Also you can run a diagnostics on the computer hardware using these steps 

1. Shutdown the computer
  2. Hold the 'Fn' key and turn on the computer
  3. Let go of the 'Fn' key after 2 seconds

Please share the error code of the diagnostics if you get any.

13 Posts

August 15th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the help! No problems with the diagnostics, I didn't run the extra memory test.

I'll work on the bios update. I've also got the shutdown hitting F11 thing, hope it fixes that.

13 Posts

August 15th, 2016 09:00

Did the bios update. I can't install the latest video drivers, I'm running Win10 and it looks like it's for up to 8.1. So I'll go with this for awhile and see if it fixed it.

August 16th, 2016 00:00

You can try the Video Driver update from the link below by selecting windows 10 under the operating system for drivers and downloads choose windows 10 and the select the video drivers that you having issues with. And what is giving you the error the Intel or Nvidia?

The link is www.dell.com/.../advanced

Let me know if it helped.

13 Posts

August 16th, 2016 13:00

Not sure which, windows just says your video shut down and is restarted or something like that. Haven't had the error yet since the bios update.

I can't find the windows 10 selection, it tells me my computer type (5558) and I dont have a choice of operating system. Only tells me the drivers are good for win7 and 8. I guess I'll dig into the specific chipset and look for upgrades but I could have sworn I did that.

The other problem just presented itself again, adjusting the brightness by hitting F11 and the computer goes into sleep. That's actually more annoying, the bios didn't fix it.

13 Posts

August 17th, 2016 18:00

Just got the error again.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows stpoped responding and has successfully recovered."

August 18th, 2016 01:00

It is certainly interesting that it doesn't show windows 10 on the support page for you.  However , since we know that the Intel Driver is the culprit, use the link below to download the latest driver. 

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03709213M/1/Video_Driver_4KJ6K_WN32_20.19.15.4454_A04.EXE

If this doesn't fix it, you can try using the Intel Driver update Utility.

13 Posts

August 18th, 2016 05:00

Thank you so much! I was able to download the drivers and install, I'll assume this will fix the problem.

With the F11 key shutting down problem, should I start a new thread? That's more of an inconvenience.

August 20th, 2016 23:00

You do not have to start a new thread for the F11 issue. 

Does this happen with you use the Fn+F11 or just the F11. You also try loading the BIOS defaults and check the function of the F11 key. Ideally the quick set application deals with the behavior of the Media keys. This can be accessed through the windows mobility center.

13 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 17:00

It doesn't do it all the time. It's also the F10 key, or sometimes when I plug in the power cord after running battery it will sleep. Not always.

How do I get into bios?

WELL SHOOT, I just got the graphics error again, same as before. But this time it didn't restore itself correctly, and the internet browser came up black. So its worse than it was.

13 Posts

September 8th, 2016 06:00

None of the solutions actually worked, still have the graphics issue and F11/F10/powercord shutdown issue. Any evidence these machines were sent with faulty hardware and have a recall? I'd like to buy another for my wife but at this point she'd be more frustrated than me.

13 Posts

September 10th, 2016 07:00

Anybody??

No Events found!