Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2016 12:00

Dell Inspiron 5720 A19 bios default not able to switch to external monitor

I have a Dell Inspiron 5720 with A19 BIOS update installed.
According to the latest owner manual page 44 to reset bios to default
downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-se-7720_owner's manual_en-us.pdf
I opened the case and released BIOS battery for more than 10 minutes.
This supposed to reset bios to factory default. However, its behavoior is changed.
When turn on laptop power, after press F2 key to go to BIOS display, I then use Fn+F1, it does switch to external display any more.
Fn+F1 used to be able to switch display to external display.
My laptop display is bad. Only a quarter of it is visible. I can see the laotp is up running in BIOS screen, but can not make any change in BIOS without seeing it on the screen.
Please help. Thanks a lot.

By the way, this is what I did before run into this problem.
I select enable UEFI boot. I also select enable secure boot (I think this may be the cause of the problem).
But I think reset bios to default, which I did, should clear these settings I made.

532 Posts

September 21st, 2016 00:00

Hi David,

We’re listening. As you’ve set BIOS to default, the multimedia options on the Function keys (Fn) are disabled and hence, you are unable to use Fn+F1 to extend the display to the external monitor. We suggest you to use “windows key”+”P” to extend the display to the external monitor.

9 Posts

September 21st, 2016 05:00

Hi Lijo Joshi,

“windows key”+”P” works for Windows after WIndows 7/8/10 already started.

But when it is in bios utility screen, how to extend or switch to external monitor?

I need to change bios settings back to where it was.

David

532 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 00:00

Thank you for the update David. Please follow the below mentioned steps to change from multimedia to function keys:

1. Restart your Windows computer and when it starts booting, press the F2 key to enter the BIOS settings.

2. Press the Advanced tab and double-click on Function key behavior. Change the setting from Multimedia key to function key.

Please let us know if this helps.

-Lijo

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hi Lijo Joshi,

As mentioned earlier, this laptop screen is bad, and I can only see a quarter of it.

That is why I want to make external monitor work. After press F2 to enter the bios setting, what to do next to see bios display screen in the external display? Once I can see it in external monitor, I can make proper change.

Thank you.

David

532 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 04:00

David, we understand your concern. Unfortunately, the only option is to change the multimedia keys to function key by following the steps provided in the previous message, as currently the function keys are disabled.

9 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 04:00

Hi Lijo Joshi,

This laptop has an internal hard drive with Windows 10 installed. It was working before.

So after bios being reset to default, the laptop even does not boot from this internal drive any more.

Can you please explain why? What input the boot process is waiting for?

Because I can not see what's display on the screen, that is why I ask this question.

I thought at least default bios setting should allow to boot from internal hard drive, all the way to Windows 10.

David

532 Posts

September 24th, 2016 01:00

Thank you posting your query David. The issue that you are currently facing in regards with the system not booting from the Internal Hard Drive is because of the changes made to BIOS. The BIOS setting would have reset the settings. You’ll have still access BIOS to make the below mentioned changes.

Move to "Boot" tab in the BIOS screen, Select "Boot list options", change the option from "Legacy" to "UEFI".

Restart the machine, it should load fine to Windows.

9 Posts

September 24th, 2016 13:00

Hi Lijo Joshi,

Windows 10 was installed on the internal hard drive with Legacy mode boot. After bios reset to default, the laptop should boot from the internal drive.

Does boot process wait for input to continue after bios reset to default? If so, what is it?

David

9 Posts

September 24th, 2016 19:00

With a bad laptop screen, I can not see bios menu. So I boot it to bios, try left arrow key '->', to move to 'advanced' tab, then use down arrow key to move down 8 times, now at 'Function Key Behavior', hit return,

tried once using down arrow key, it did not, work, second time, tried up arrow key, it worked.

Now function keys work. And bios display can be switched to external by using Fn+F1.

Problem solved.

532 Posts

September 27th, 2016 03:00

That’s good to know David. We appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue. Please post your queries in future and we’ll surely try and assist you. Thank you and have a great day.

No Events found!