Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2012 15:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 memory upgrade

I currently have 512mb in each of the slots, I want to upgrade to 2gb (1gb x slot)...My question is, If I put a 2gb Dell certified memory in each slot, will my system have the 2gb of memory functioning even though each stick of ram is 2gb for a total of 4gb? Or should I just buy the 1gb ram for each slot.....the 2gb of ram are available at a good price and are dell certified...

thanks

Hi,

Welcome to dell community.

Inspiron 6000 supports total of 2 GB memory ( 1 GB on each slot). if you put 2 GB memory on each slot it won't work. I would suggest you to get 1 GB stick for each slot.

if you any further questions please reply to same post.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

For the Inspiron 6400, I put 2 GB of RAM in each slot and got 3.25 GB usable. However I don't think it is possible for the Inspiron 6000 and I see some reports which say that it does not boot up if you put 2×2 GB modules, I don't know if they are true or not as I have never tried. They also say it boots with one 2 GB module in.

Performance is generally reduced if matched modules aren't used, so I would recommend using 2×1 GB. I recommend getting the part from crucial here.

No Events found!