Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2015 06:00

Dell Inspiron 6400 Windows 98 Driver

Any ideas where I can find a Windows 98 video driver for an old Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop?

I'm attempting to resurrect an old robot lego set on behalf of a school.  The software only runs on a Windows 95 / 98 machine so I've installed Windows 98 on an old laptop.  Everything is going well except the video is limited to 16 colours.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

James.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 7th, 2015 10:00

Ensure you install VMWare tools for the Windows 98SE VM it'll give you a proper display driver.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 1st, 2015 10:00

Do not cripple your hardware with Windows 98SE. Install Windows 98SE in a Virtual machine:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/installation-of-windows-and-linux-on-a-virtual-machine-using-vmware-player/

I give a Windows 98SE example.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2015 06:00

Very many thanks for this suggestion.

I have now re-installed Windows XP and have Windows 98 running on VM Player.

However, I still have the same problem.  Within the VM Player, I am still limited to 16 colours.  The virtual machine is using the Standard PCI Graphics Adaptor (VGA) and I can't find any other drivers.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

James.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

See here, this is for XP but the procedure is more or less identical for the Windows 98SE VM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0zN9XhQ44

3 Posts

Very many thanks - it's working perfectly now.

I have a similar issue with the USB controller.

I need to connect a device to the laptop using an old serial connector (lego mindstorms) but the laptop only has USB ports.  I have a Prolific USB Serial Converter.  I have installed the USB Serial Converter on Windows XP and configured it to COM1.  The Lego Mindstorms software is installed on Windows 98SE on the VM.  How do I make COM1 in XP available to COM1 in the VM.  At present, the VM doesn't seem to see it.

Thanks again.

James.

No Events found!