This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2012 18:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 Not booting correctly

Hello,

First here's some info that may or may not be relevant/helpful:

Dell Inspiron 7720
Bios V. A07
Windows 8

Today when I booted up my laptop, it shows the Dell logo and goes to a screen that only shows me a few things. It says "Boot mode is set to:UEFI; Secure boot:ON"

Then there are two categories, "UEFI BOOT: Network" and "OTHER OPTIONS: Setup, Diagnostics, Change boot mode settings"

I ran the diagnostics in ePSA and it said there's something wrong with the video card. It gives error 2000-0332 - "Video memory -Video memory integrity test discrepancy"... when I searched for this code, it said the solution is "Flash latest BIOS, retry diagnostics."

I have no idea what it means to flash the BIOS or how to do this. I don't even know if that is the proper way to handle this problem or if there's something else I should do. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

6 Posts

December 29th, 2012 21:00

Can anyone please help?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 29th, 2012 23:00

Hi sporkism,

Follow below steps to resolve the issue:

Disable ISRT in BIOS setup menu by selecting SATA mode and changing it to AHCI then saving the change.

Reboot from Windows and enter BIOS setup menu again to set SATA mode back to RAID.

Restart windows again and follow the steps below to Enable Intel smart response technology.

Please apply all Windows updates at this time. Should the issue not be resolved after all posted Windows updates have been installed, a supported hotfix is now available to address this issue. Go to MS downloads at the address below:

Select this download version “Update for Windows 8 for X64 based systems (KB2756872)”. Download and install this update, reboot your system.

2000-0332 indicates Video Memory failed.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer, let me check what best could be done.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

1 Message

December 30th, 2012 06:00

I have the same issue with my machine, the Inspiron 17R SE, 7720 .

I switch on the machine, the DELL logo appears for a second and then nothing happens. 

I don't even get to access the BIOS using the F12/F2 Keys.

Please help me out with this issue.  

6 Posts

December 30th, 2012 19:00

Rajesh,

I PM'ed you my service tag but I never got a PM from you to begin with.

I don't understand the first part on your instructions. I don't see anything about ISRT anywhere. Am I supposed to be looking in the Advanced tab? Is it the SATA Operation? The only two options I have for that is either ACHI or ATA. I don't see anything about RAID anywhere. Am I in the wrong menu, and if so, how do I get to the right one?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

December 30th, 2012 23:00

Hi sporkism,

Yes, we need to change the SATA Operation under Advanced tab to AHCI if it is set to ATA. Now save the settings by using F10.

Now follow the Steps 1 to 4 from the above post.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

6 Posts

December 31st, 2012 02:00

It's set to AHCI. It was never on ATA. I can't do steps 1-4 because I can't get Windows to boot.

11 Posts

December 31st, 2012 23:00

I have the same problems as suryatech, the logo appears then just a black screen, If I press esc, an empty bar appears with text saying "F12 = Boots options" I can shutdown the PC then I can turn it on normally but it keeps happening, this started happening a day ago.

Please someone help me with this problem.

5 Posts

January 1st, 2013 04:00

I also have this problem; it started a few days ago after I got a message in the Action Center - Video Hardware Error (or failure).

When 'cold start' booting -> Dell logo and black screen (pressing Esc it is reveiled the empty bar and the "F12- ....")

Pressing again the power button it shuts down instantly. It boots OK when pressing the power button third time.

After booting, OS (Win8 x64) works just fine as allways . I have the latest BIOS version and the drivers and OS patches are up to date and no issues in Device Manager.

The Event viewer does not report any critical events.

I've run the ePSA Thorough Mode tests -> Passed.

I've tried that 'thing' suggested by Dell-Rajesh R with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, without changing from ISRT to AHCI because the OS should be reinstalled  - did not solved the issue.

I even set the Acceleration Mode to maximum. Indeed it improves even more the performance of the system, but the booting issue is not solved.

Google-ing for "7720" I got this "I have recently acquired an Acer 7220G notebook. Every morning when I switch it on it freezes on the acer splashscreen. I then reboot and it will always load up on the second go." - Issue solved with an BIOS update.

Well, I have the latest BIOS, A11 (re-flashed - I presumed it became corrupted), so what, should I wait for the A12 ?

Thank you.

(service tag - FKXX1W1)

PS. I 've never changed any settings in BIOS. I 've never entered in BIOS before now.

In BIOS, the SATA Operation is set to "Intel Smart Response Technology"

Upgrading the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from 11.5.0.1207 to 11.6.0.1030 did not solved the booting issue.

Downgraded to A08 (issue not solved), again flashed A11 - issue not solved

5 Posts

January 1st, 2013 08:00

to sporkism - Of course, you are right. The way the SATA controller is working must be set up before the OS installation. It cannot be changed on the fly - you will lose all the data.

5 Posts

January 1st, 2013 14:00

Hi all.

I solved this issue, but I don't know how. Booting in the safe mode didn't solve anything.

I only played with the services. That's all, but I can not tell you what I've done. Sorry.

I didn't uninstall or reinstall anything, (software, drivers, etc.)

Good luck.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 07:00

Still need answers. Really was not looking forward to calling tech support, but apparently I might have to give in. So far, not impressed with the tech support here and I'm starting to realize why people have been giving me <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> for buying a Dell.

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 10:00

Indeed, an ófficial' solution should be published. This issue was reported by several 7720 owners.

I have Win8, which is still 'young' given the number of the 'application compatibility patches' I/we have to install :)

There are also the drivers which have to be very well developed. We should use only the drivers from the Dell's portal, but we are very happy when Windows finds and install newer drivers - you understand what I mean.

Let's not put the blame entirely on Dell.

I have a top config and is working flowless; more, I'm using Dell laptops for many years and I know what I'm talking about.

Like any other brand there are retail and business products.

If you want a laptop very well done, good materials and very very reliable, go for the Latitude series, which (that's it) do not have 17"displays and GT650M graphics adapter.

I wish you to solve the issue and to be happy with your laptop.

11 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 20:00

I also "solved" the Issue by Refreshing my PC on PC Settings, the bad thing is that it uninstalled every software I installed, even Windows Updates (which I believe they are responsible for the problem and I haven't installed) though, it was not much problem since I got the laptop a few weeks ago. So far I won't install any update until Dell or Microsoft fix this or  post a solution or something.

5 Posts

January 4th, 2013 07:00

I understand.I'm glad you are 'back in business'.

I was very very close to use this Win8 feature, but I have a lot of applications installed and I've chosen to waste some time trying to get to the bottom of this. I was just lucky.

You can choose to install the updates/applications one at a time followed each one with a restart.

41 Posts

January 6th, 2013 01:00

Nothing like the feeling when a windows update comes in and NUKES yer machine!

But you know, there is a thread somewhere on the forums here detailing how to force windows NOT to update certain drivers. Dell techs, maybe you can post the link?

No Events found!