Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 SE - Gpu boost is turning off

I have decided to create a new post regarding this issue, which wasn´t solved at last bios update (A12)..

GPU boost (OC to 835MHZ) is not working anymore and stick the frequency at default level all the time (745MHZ).

This happens when this laptop is disconnected from AC and it´s permanent stuck till you remove and re-insert the battery to reset somekind of memory.

I would understand if this feature will work on battery to save energy, but this is clearly a bug and after reconnecting AC, it should enable GPU boost again, but it doesn´t.

So, everytime i accidentally disconnect my laptop from power supply, my GPU boost is turned off and i have to painfully turn off the laptop and re-insert the battery to make it work again.

Many users registered this issue on forums all around the world... Please, don´t say it´s a feature to protect the laptop....

Thanks for your help!

13 Posts

May 19th, 2013 23:00

mine adapter is looking like this:

51 Posts

May 19th, 2013 23:00

Well we dont really know that every 7720 owner has the issue (we do know that people here do), which is why Im wondering if it could be related to specific AC adapters and the SMART adapter functions. Perhaps the adapter is not talking to the laptop or battery correctly when its plugged in again.

Your AC adapter is quite different to mine particulary in relation to how many amps it outputs. Perhaps they use different adapters depending on whether its an i5 or i7 etc.

56 Posts

May 20th, 2013 00:00

I know for sure that i7 models have 130W adapter and i5 only 90W adapter. People were talking about this on one of my domestic computer forums in relation with possible CPU substitution in future.

51 Posts

May 20th, 2013 01:00

Interesting palad1n, this perhaps may narrow the problem to either onboard memory that is main battery backed up, OR some actual memory on the smart battery itself.

51 Posts

However, it could possibly still be related to a smart communication error between the battery and the power adapter so I wouldnt rule either out. Particulary as DELL have told me they are not able to replicate it on their test system so it would seem one of their components on their test machine is perhaps different to ours.

Does anybody have a secondary battery pack, even from a third party that they can test out to see if the problem still persists?

74 Posts

This gpu issue has nothing to do with power adapter... in case the battery is completely removed, gpu boost works well.

GPU boost is disabled only if i have my battery inserted and i accidentaly disconnect the power cable when the laptop is on... ten only reinserting the battery helps to solve this issue at least temporarily. (till the new power disconnect)

5 Posts

May 20th, 2013 02:00

Right now I feel any progress is good progress, however I highly doubt there are people out there whom do not have the ''bug'''. I would love to know how DELL replicated the test, since I wouldn't be surprised if they tested whether the boost worked without a battery plugged in. Which as many know would mean the boost always works.

For what its worth I have the 130w type which looks like the one shown by ''revisions''. ill post spec number later the day if there is a use for it.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I check check with other battery and still nothing. So its not battery issue.

11 Posts

May 20th, 2013 03:00

I reproduce the same bug in four computers, so in my own, this is a factory and massive bug that might be resolved.

How DELL test this laptop? And in addition, the fact that the processor must be set to 99% performance to no overheat the laptop while executing games... mmmm... i consider this a cooling fault or a design fault...

51 Posts

psheemas, was the other battery you checked with an identical battery part or third party compatible model?

@i b ben, I'll check with my contact and see if we can get further info on how DELL tested this bug.

56 Posts

What do you mean by "processor must be set to 99% performance to no overheat the laptop"?

4 Posts

May 20th, 2013 05:00

Graham Jupp, checked with oryginal dell battery and from other manufacturer, still same problem.

56 Posts

May 20th, 2013 06:00

OK. Thanks for your observation. As for my laptop I can say only that I've got no problem with GPU or CPU throttling due to high temperatures. Firstly I thought that when the GPU reaches some point the boost turns of and it stays off. But after more observations I found out that GPU boost is working correctly until unplugging the power supply - it raises and lowers the frequencies dynamically. For my further observation the GPU stays most of the time on 845 MHz (or 835? don't know exactly right now).

What's your temperature threshold for your GPU to disable boost?

51 Posts

@mir77, apparantly setting CPU to 99% prevents the CPU entering turbo mode and therefore keeps the system cooler. This can help with reducing GPU temp especially in applications that rely more heavily on GPU rather than CPU. YOu lose some CPU speed, but the upside is the GPU will run for longer on boost mode before throttling back due to high temp, that's the theory anyway.

51 Posts

I have mailed my contact to ask how they attempted to reproduce the bug and whether DELL perhaps misunderstood the circumstances under which it occurs. Hopefully he replies soon, will keep you all updated.

@psheemas Thanks for the battery info.

No Events found!