Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 SE - Gpu boost is turning off

I have decided to create a new post regarding this issue, which wasn´t solved at last bios update (A12)..

GPU boost (OC to 835MHZ) is not working anymore and stick the frequency at default level all the time (745MHZ).

This happens when this laptop is disconnected from AC and it´s permanent stuck till you remove and re-insert the battery to reset somekind of memory.

I would understand if this feature will work on battery to save energy, but this is clearly a bug and after reconnecting AC, it should enable GPU boost again, but it doesn´t.

So, everytime i accidentally disconnect my laptop from power supply, my GPU boost is turned off and i have to painfully turn off the laptop and re-insert the battery to make it work again.

Many users registered this issue on forums all around the world... Please, don´t say it´s a feature to protect the laptop....

Thanks for your help!

56 Posts

July 5th, 2013 02:00

It is strange that when I was looking after the solution I found only people with this problem. It seam that US customers don't bother with this or maybe they have no idea about how <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute Characters removed as per TOU> laptot they bought :(

1 Message

July 8th, 2013 11:00

This problem coupled with the fan getting stuck even if the temperature has been lowered is one of the main reasons I'm regretting my purchase, especially considering the ignorance if the customer service…

51 Posts

July 9th, 2013 03:00

@mark slight, I think they are able to get access to a 7720 at their test lab but were not able to replicate the bug, what they havent been able to get hold of so far is a US 7720 that exhibits the bug so they can test it. It is a fairly big ask for someone to give up their machine temporarily as a guinea pig though, especially if it's their primary machine.

51 Posts

July 13th, 2013 22:00

New BIOS update is out, no mention of a fix but would not be the first time Dell have released a BIOS update without detailing what has been fixed. Havent tested it myself as yet but will install later this week, let us know how you go if you give it a try.

40 Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

Test. Only result for me: l lost again my bios access... GPU trouble remain.

51 Posts

July 17th, 2013 18:00

@B0real, hmmm, that doesnt sound too promising.

8 Posts

July 24th, 2013 23:00

Im in canada with same bug, has their been any updates on this issue?

40 Posts

July 25th, 2013 05:00

Nothing on my side. I wondered if some Win8 update should not follow when there is an update of the BIOS, in this case, UEFI. I do not have the necessary options to change the settings to access BIOS in menu support of Win8.  Before, I had some of them.

13 Posts

August 7th, 2013 07:00

installed this A15 today and still not working. so stupid that you have to always remove battery and insert back to get performance back what should work 24/7 as i paid for it also. also makes battery to die sooner as im so lazy that i dont remove power cable because of this problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

I like the Targus Chill mat with Dual Fans.

Laptop Chill Mat Back Gray Supports up to 17 Inch
Usually Ships Within 24 Hours
Manufacturer Part# AWE55US
Dell Part# A3148328

11 Posts

man this def. sucks, it doesn't affect me much because I use it as a desktop so its constantly plugged in, so i have it overclocked to 900mhz and 2800mhz, im still looking for a laptop cooling pad to properly cool this beast down, right now im using blu ray movies to suspend it in the air by puttin 3 movies under each corner lol

56 Posts

August 7th, 2013 08:00

Can I ask you how you overclocked the GPU? I've got some experiences with old GeForce 6600, 7600 and so on, but I had problems with this graphic card in this laptop and had no success.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2013 09:00

do you have any benchmarks or test results with before and after using this cooling pad?

11 Posts

August 7th, 2013 09:00

sure, i used several programs to monitor, overclock, and diagnose the overclocks..first I use GPU-Z to see the temperatures, the current and max memory clocks, and make sure everything is smooth. Then I use nvidia's nvidia inspector, click on show overclocks, and then play with the sliders and set it to the clock I want. Once set, I use ATItool to run a 3d rendering that uses almost 100% of your gpu, leave it running for 10 mins and see if any artifacts occur. Keep pushing until it does, then tone back a smidge. Also you need to have the laptop cooled, raise it off the surface, put a fan, do what you have to do to bring the temps down, because if it goes above a certain threshold temperature, the gpu boost will disable and u'll have to do the battery trick to restore it. I found 900 mhz to be ok. (up from the 835).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 7th, 2013 11:00

If overheating is still a problem with a passive cooling pad then perhaps a spot cooler would be also required.

www.globalindustrial.com/.../portableairconditioners-spotcooler-etl-approved-796000

No Events found!