Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2013 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7720 SE - Gpu boost is turning off

I have decided to create a new post regarding this issue, which wasn´t solved at last bios update (A12)..

GPU boost (OC to 835MHZ) is not working anymore and stick the frequency at default level all the time (745MHZ).

This happens when this laptop is disconnected from AC and it´s permanent stuck till you remove and re-insert the battery to reset somekind of memory.

I would understand if this feature will work on battery to save energy, but this is clearly a bug and after reconnecting AC, it should enable GPU boost again, but it doesn´t.

So, everytime i accidentally disconnect my laptop from power supply, my GPU boost is turned off and i have to painfully turn off the laptop and re-insert the battery to make it work again.

Many users registered this issue on forums all around the world... Please, don´t say it´s a feature to protect the laptop....

Thanks for your help!

28 Posts

April 12th, 2016 14:00

perhaps install bios wrong ... this problem since I got started in the pc. with Windows 10. I thought it was so here I returned to win windows 7 .. the problem was tried everything !! uninstall all drivers reinstall them newest older versions from the website of nvidia .. when you first buy it had bios a17 and a16 to actualize the problem was so here I returned to a16 but did not taste so here I returned again perhaps I did wrong bios a17 in nstallat uñbios a16 then a17 then a17 a16 and now again ??? Sorry for my english im feom uruguay

28 Posts

April 12th, 2016 14:00

perhaps install bios wrong ... this problem since I got started in the pc. with Windows 10. I thought it was so here I returned to win windows 7 .. the problem was tried everything !! uninstall all drivers reinstall them newest older versions from the website of nvidia .. when you first buy it had bios a17 and a16 to actualize the problem was so here I returned to a16 but did not taste so here I returned again perhaps I did wrong bios a17 in nstallat uñbios a16 then a17 then a17 a16 and now again ???    SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH  IM USING GOOGLE TRADUC

28 Posts

April 12th, 2016 17:00

enter safe mode use  ddu   program , uninstall all nvidia driver .. and now is working, and hopefully not dissapear  again : S

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 10:00

delete all with ddu program , run at the time , yesterday off my pc working perfect today when i star the pc no longer appeared my nvidia ,,,,,comes and goes when he wants ,.....currently have bios a17 windows 7 x64 Dell inspiror 17re 7720

my nvidia still does not appear , when it appears can play for hours but this happens to me only when I turn it off and I turn the other day , I have to return to uninstall the driver and install  again have no problems gpu bost " think " I have problem that my nvidia not loaded at startup, and device manager will also not appear ,, help please      helpppppp

18 Posts

April 13th, 2016 13:00

In device manager if you go to view hidden devices does the 650m appear? http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/show-hidden-devices-windows-600x402.jpg

Also I wouldn't use Windows 7. The laptop comes with Windows 8. Windows 10 should work fine, I'm using the 17r 7720 SE with Windows 10 with latest a17.

Biggest problem for us to help is language barrier.

My steps to fix would be:

Install from fresh Windows 8 or 10.

Install latest Intel driver from Intel driver update

Reboot

Install latest nvidia driver from nvidia.com

Reboot

Install chipset driver from Dell.com

Reboot

Install bios a16

Reboot

See if GPU still goes missing still.

Install bios a17

See if GPU still goes missing and if GPU boost.

Notes:

Make sure bios correctly installs each time. You can tell when you start computer in bottom corner it will say a16 or a17.

Make sure you have exact same model. How do you know for sure you have 17r 7720 SE?

Did you own laptop from new or second hand? There may have been a reason it's sold if you bought it second hand.

Outside of this apart from using the custom bios I linked before there isn't anything else really to try. I would suggest contacting Dell support and asking them. It could be a connection or hardware problem. If it doesn't work after these steps I'm not sure what else to try.

Good luck!

18 Posts

April 13th, 2016 13:00

Forgot to mention. If it is shown hidden devices with error code, goto properties and screenshot error code.

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 14:00

GIVE ME 2 HOURS  , FOR TEST ALL YOU SAY 

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 15:00

man send me a email  <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy> i cant read private sms here in this web i dont know why , i have 3 private sms  i cant read 
 send me a email plz 

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 16:00

not appear      i have  windows 10 pendient update   ..¡???  i s
should I upgrade ? ??????

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 18:00

something curious , reflash bios a17 , now nvidia work fain , dont know for  how long ...... ,  man , i have a problem with my bios  i think

28 Posts

April 13th, 2016 21:00

Stil not working ... but i discover something  

If i reflash bios a17  . Nvidia appear and any problem .. the bad  is ..  i need to reslash bios every time i start my pc . And that u think is not good . So i  got to  find other solution ... im sure is a bios problem ... now im  reflash win 10 from usb like you said . And   install all drivers again and staff

No Events found!