Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 07:00

Dell Inspiron 9300 Fan stays on until reboot

My Inspiron 9300 recently came back from Dell after it needed the lcd replaced (see vertical yellow line posts).  Just after this I upgraded the RAM from 1G to a Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2), (200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300).  The laptop works fine until I plug in something to the usb port like an external hard drive or an mp3 player.  After a while the fan kicks in and stays at a high rpm and the processor slows down with cpu memory at 80%.  I have to reboot the laptop to make the fan stop.  I'm going to put the old 2x512 modules back in and see if it resolves the issue.  I've also heard that cleaning fan area helps.  Just wanted to post this issue and see if anyone else has experienced it.

January 24th, 2009 17:00

It could be worse than you realize.

I have the same problem.

Does one back corner get warm while the other back corner where the fan is on is cool?

That means one fan is not working and the other is trying to compensate.

What is also means is that your speedstep processor has dropped. Mine goes from 1.73 to .79 gigahertz. There are several ways to determine this. Perfmon can do it. Intel also has a download for the Pentium M that tells you what it is running at.

The weird thing is even if I suspend the machine and let it cool off, the fan may stop but the processor will stay at .79. I have to reboot to get back to 1.73. A lot of good speedstep is.

You can try to download the chipset drivers and reinstall them but that probably will not help.

Run diagnostics to tell you if any part is not working. It may point to the problem.

It is a real pain to call tech support to come out right after they work on something. It has happened a few times to me. It is about to happen again, they just replaced the motherboard/power adapter because the machine did not recognize the adapter and would then run in a lower .79 state and also not charge the battery. That was fixed but like I just said ...

I suspect this machine will live about 2 months after the extended warranty runs out.

5 Posts

January 25th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

The fan for the graphics driver stays on (left side).  The Diagnostics error is 3700:011B  "Expected Video Fan on high RPM of 3700.  Detected fan RPM=0"  Strange because the fan is on and I can feel the air from the port. 

I downloaded the Intel tool you referred to and it was operating at the lowest step same as yours.  I also downloaded a utility called RMclock and it's possible to manually adjust the speed to it's maximum.  I'm not sure this made any difference as the fan still came on while testing a video using VLC. 

I'll give Dell a call again.... I suppose laptops only last 3 years?  That was an expensive mistake!

Tracy

No Events found!