Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 1st, 2008 07:00

Dell Inspiron E1405 touchpad problem

Good morning.

The left-click button below the touchpad on my Inspiron E1405 has receded. This has made clicking on it very inconvenient as there's very little feedback from the button in that it remains in the "clicked" position the entire time. Is there any way to prop it back up?

Thanks very much.

1 Message

December 11th, 2008 22:00

Help!! I have this exact same problem.  Doesn't anyone know how to fix this??

1 Message

December 13th, 2008 08:00

Same problem, too.  I purchased two at the same time, and they both developed this problem.  We were able to have one repaired while still under warranty, but have to live with the problem on the second one

130 Posts

December 13th, 2008 14:00

Same problem here. Thinking about buying a mouse.

1 Message

January 2nd, 2009 14:00

I have the exact same problem with my XPS M140 laptop. Left touchpad button recessed. Still working but very anoying.

1.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 14:00

In all these cases, the solution is to replace the palmrest assembly.

2 Posts

April 12th, 2009 17:00

Exact same problem here as well.  Maybe they should do a recall since this is obviously a defect in workmanship since it seems to happen so often?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 12th, 2009 19:00

It isn't necessarily a defect in workmanship - it has more to do with how heavily the device was used and on how hard it was used. 

Recalls are made for safety issues, not wear-outs.

5.2K Posts

April 13th, 2009 08:00

If in warranty, call Dell.

If out of warranty, you can disassemble the laptop to see if the key may be freeable. If not, you can order a repalcement and install it yourself.

10 Posts

July 20th, 2009 10:00

Is there no other way to get to the button without disassembling the entire computer?  I didn't realize that I'd have to take the whole thing apart.  Not that i am complaining - I have no doubt it is from HEAVY use.  I have worn the silver pain from the key!  I just wondered if I had gotten a crumb or something under it, causing it to not work properly. 

No Events found!