Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

August 10th, 2015 05:00

Dell Inspiron N4050 "Plugged in not Charging"

i have dell inspiron n4050

3 days ago when i plugged in charger my laptop is not charging. when i put mouse on battery symbol it says "plugged in not charging"

when i shutdown my laptop sometime it getting charged(1,2 times a day).

when i start it same problems occurs.  a notification appears" The AC power adapter type cannot be determined"

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 10th, 2015 20:00

Hi waqas189,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check for issue resolution.

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, we will need to determine if the issue is with the AC adapter or Battery. We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times you will now be on the BIOS screen.
  3. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
    If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  4. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

6 Posts

August 11th, 2015 00:00

i run a test Battery working properly

ac adapter type unknown

6 Posts

August 11th, 2015 00:00

if i shutdown machine and connect charger after 4-5 hours it getting charged

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 14th, 2015 10:00

Hi waqas189,

The AC adapter seems to be faulty as the BIOS status is ‘Unknown’. Please replace the AC adapter on the system to check if the issue fixes.

1 Message

November 16th, 2015 09:00

i have changed new battery inspiron n4050,but not charging .what is problem?

1 Message

March 1st, 2016 14:00

What I did was open the laptop and found the fan not spinning. Once I got it going the bios recognized it and it charged. Went off and on for a couple of weeks and now is charging regular. If it happens again I may just replace the fan.

1 Message

March 7th, 2016 16:00

I have a 5323 that is doing the same thing.  I cant take the battery out, or do not know how to.  I tried another charger and the message is the same.  What should I do?

Thanks

July 2nd, 2016 05:00

hi Ravi I tried both test on AC adapter and charge .

AC adapter display in bios screen 65 walt

and battery performance also said healthy .

bt when I connect adapter to my Inspiron 3521 laptop at 17% charging says charger plugged in,not charging

plzz tell what can i do?

No Events found!