Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2012 20:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 BSOD video?

Hello.

I am really fed up with this and all the other problems my laptop has since its purchase.

When I am watching a high quality video on youtube (with Firefox) for more than 5 minutes, I am getting a BSOD causing my laptop to restart.

The error is: 0x000001e

This doesn't occur when I watch a normal quality video either from youtube or from my laptop.

I was receiving this error (or similar) since the day of purchase, but not very often.

Due to this and some other problems, I decided to try and update my drivers.

But I guess I did it the wrong way, resulting to several other problems.

More information (+ Laptop's Specifications) here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19416618/19979954.aspx

After going through this nonsense, I did a Factory System Restore.

From that day until today (about a month) I received that error the same way, 3 times.

It is obvious that it is based on video.

I am not sure if it is the drivers or the video card itself?

I haven't touched my drivers yet and according to Windows Update, I have the latest working versions.

If you suggest me to update a specific driver, please make it clear on how, in order to avoid further problems.

I find it unacceptable that such a great laptop, not being able to play high quality videos.

Not to mention about the sound problem, but that's maybe another story...

Thank you in advance.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2012 05:00

Hi Novel,

Welcome to the Community.I suggest you can boot your system to safe mode with networking under Advanced Boot Options by pressing F8 at the Dell logo while starting the system.Play the high quality video in safe mode with networking  and observe if you get that blue screen.

If you don't get any error it would mean the software/driver for the video card needs to uninstalled  and reinstalled.You can do that by following the link below:

www.support.dell.com

Use your service tag number to get the drivers for your system and from the list go to Video  and find the video card driver for your system.(its recommended to uninstall and reinstall video card driver  in normal mode).

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Roshan.

15 Posts

February 5th, 2012 20:00

Because I can't bother with testing on safe mode, as the video crashing occurs random, I will just reinstall the Nvidia driver and keep my usual doing to see what happens.

By the way, in my computer experience, I notice that when I hibernate my computer, its speed, response time decreases more each time I hibernate (instead of shutting down). Also the video crashing problem, is more likely to occur that time. Is it normal for today's laptops to have reduce performance each time they hibernate?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2012 02:00

Hi Novel,

Hibernate option on the system should not affect the performance of the system.I suggest you can also check for any BIOS update for your system, when you reinstall the Nvidia driver.

You can check for an updated BIOS on same website which is www.support.dell.com.

Thank You,

Roshan.

15 Posts

February 7th, 2012 10:00

Dell suggests that the only update (for my service tag) available is for Removable Storage, which it is quite sad.

The recommended video driver version for my model (Nvidia), is '8.17.12.6830, A02' (Which is actually version 260 something), while Nvidia site has version '285.62' as the latest, for my video card.

The Nvidia driver application offers you the option to upgrade over your currently installed driver version (which works very well - instead of manually uninstalling and installing).

I have tried the recommended version from Dell...The BSOD video crashing, occurred more often, even on low quality videos (At least the BSOD error number remains the same).

So now I have installed the latest version from Nvidia (manual search) and wait to see what happens.

Dell still doesn't say there is an updated BIOS for my service tag.

15 Posts

February 8th, 2012 13:00

Here is new information when updating to the latest version from Nvidia.

After applying the update and rebooting, when I was watching videos on youtube (no high quality) or on my computer (a still image with music behind is still considered as video?), I was having those audio 'hiccups'.

What I mean is that the sound (not sure about the video), was freezing for a second, very often (haven't test with headphones).

Before updating, those 'hiccups' were like a warning, just before my laptop was about to crash on BSOD and restart.

So I was getting a 'panic' attack every while :P .

Suddenly, after leaving my computer on Sleep Mode and resuming again, the 'hiccups' where gone and I was very happy because I thought the whole problem was gone..

But after 2 hibernation resumes and some minutes ago (before typing this post), I received a new BSOD when watching a video (no high quality).

The error is: 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x000000008005003

xFFFFF88004F4E08F)

dxgmms1.sys - Address FFFFF88004F4E08F base FFFFF

4ce799c1

Not sure if I missed a number or letter, and is that an Nvidia driver file?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a hardware problem (e.g. video card is not properly connected), because everything I bought from that provider, had a problem (including a printer, two access points, etc.).

Please help me understand what is happening and how I can fix this annoying problem.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2012 01:00

Hi Novel,

I understand you have installed the updated drivers for the video card and still having the issue.Before we confirm its a hardware issue or issue with the video card,i suggest you to manually restore the operating system using the Dell media.This will help us eliminate any kind of software issue which might be causing this blue screen.

You can use the link below for help to manually restore system:

support.dell.com/.../document

Thank You

Roshan.

15 Posts

February 9th, 2012 02:00

By suggesting to manually restore the operating system using the Dell media, I believe you mean using the Windows 7 disk? I only have Dell's drivers disk, not Windows 7.

But as I mentioned in my first post: "After going through this nonsense, I did a Factory System Restore.". - Using the Dell DataSafe Local Backup. That didn't change anything.

Sorry but I won't bother doing any Operating System installations anymore.

The installation of all the software is really annoying afterwards.

Assuming that this problem existed since my purchase, but only occured rarely, I am extremely mad that it is not my fault.

As how much I love my laptop, I blame my provider or even Dell itself.

My next step would be to uninstall manually the Nvidia drivers and install them again, hoping for the best.

I am not sure if the Intel's drivers have to do anything with the problem, but I prefer not to mess with any other drivers.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi Novel,

Yes i meant the windows 7 disk.I realize you have done the Factory Image Restore.I had recommended manual restore to completely eliminate the possible software issue, because at times some files in the image may get corrupted.Using the factory image to restore the system may not  completely eliminate the software problem(if any)

However as you don't want to go through that option, let me know what happens after you uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia driver.

Thank You

Roshan.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2014 09:00

Hi I have also blue screen problem in my dell inspiron 5110 When i reinstall windows 7 i completes setup but on preparing your deaktop for first use screen it goes into blue screen. Suggesting me to update bios although i have updated bios to latest version A11. Please kindly help me in this i am waiting?
No Events found!