Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 does not go into sleep mode, loses power

When I try to put my Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop into sleep mode, the screen goes dark and it looks like it's going to sleep.  But the power button stays lit, and the two small outer edge lights on the front display stay lit.  I can hear the motor whirring too, and it's clear the laptop is actually on and using/losing power.  I am unable to get it out of sleep mode.  A long press of the power button will get the computer powered up, but I am immediately taken to the "Windows did not shut down correctly" screen, and given the option to start windows normally or in safe mode.  

To fix the problem, I've tried doing a system restore to a restore point before the problem started.  That didn't fix it.  Today I scanned the hard drive, motherboard and various other hardware, and everything passed.  I did a virus scan and no threats were found.  Any ideas what's going on and how I can fix it?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, 64 bit, 6 GB RAM, Inter Core i5.

42 Posts

December 6th, 2013 14:00

Thanks IAMBENP18, I gave it a shot, but the laptop didn't go to sleep when I clicked sleep, and got the usual "Windows did shut down properly" error message afterwards when I restarted.  

Caki1204: I'm a bit intimidated by the idea of taking apart my laptop, maybe someday...

5 Posts

November 6th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for replying. Okay. I guess that I'll shut down my laptop simply. The sleep mode was very useful for me though. I'll get back to you if ever I find a solution. Do you remember if you installed something new on your laptop before it happened ?My problem occurred after I installed my printer driver. It's a Lexmark x1100. 

42 Posts

I haven't completely solved it, but I found a work-around.  What I've been doing is putting the laptop into Hibernate.  The screen goes dark, but the lights stay lit.  After a minute or so, when the computer stops "whirring", then I do a long press of the power button (a few seconds) until the light goes off.  This extra step seems to completely put the computer into hibernate.  It's not perfect, but I've been able to avoid the "Windows did not shut down properly" error messages this way.  

5 Posts

Were you able to solve this problem ? I'm in the same situation as you right now.

5 Posts

November 6th, 2013 14:00

I tried system restore. Nothing changed :/

42 Posts

November 6th, 2013 14:00

I don't think it started happening for me after I installed something new on my laptop.  You could trying doing a system restore before the problem happened.

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hello FunkyGuitars, 

I fixed my laptop. The problem came from the CMOS battery. Try to dissassemble your laptop. Remove your CMOS and put it back. Start laptop. Modify your clock settings to your local date/time. Restart. Try the laptop in sleep mode and check if it's back on track. 

I hope that this will help you. 

C.

42 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not familiar with the CMOS battery... is it just the regular battery?  Is it just a matter of sliding the tabs out, removing the battery, and putting it back in?

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 18:00

No, it's not the battery found at the back of your laptop. It's a small circular battery found at the left hand side of your mouse pad. You'll have to disassemble your laptop. Here is a link which can help you to disassemble it - https://www.google.mu/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.dell.com%2FManuals%2Fall-products%2Fesuprt_laptop%2Fesuprt_inspiron_laptop%2Finspiron-15r-n5110_service%2520manual_en-us.pdf&ei=dQ2QUqvgGMmHrQfruoH4DA&usg=AFQjCNEHzpNsfdngjfAVmWa8tsHSRZ43CA&bvm=bv.56988011,d.bmk or you can watch how to do it on youtube. 

1 Message

December 5th, 2013 20:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 3520 laptop with Windows 8 and was having the exact same problem. After multiple calls to Dell technical support, re-installing video drivers, BIOS, etc., what finally did the trick was a simple settings change. Go into your advanced power settings and under "Hard disk", change "Turn off hard disk after" to 10 minutes and 15 minutes for "On battery" and "Plugged in", respectively. I'm not even sure why this fixes the problem, but now the laptop goes right to sleep as soon as I push the power button, every time.

I have noticed, though, that my laptop still does not go to sleep on its own, even after being idle for as long as the settings specify. Of course I'm now out of warranty so I can't call Dell for help. Any ideas?

No Events found!