Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 28th, 2016 15:00

Dell Inspiron only starts up after waiting a few hours

Hi,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 5 5000 and experience the following problem:

When I turn the laptop off after using it for a while and I want to turn it back on by pressing the power button, it does not turn back on. After waiting a few hours however, the power button works again and the laptop does turn back on.
Sometimes (don't know if this is related) the battery is completely empty after the waiting period.

I think it might be due to overheating, although the laptop never feels really hot. It does feel warm when it does not start up.

Can anyone help me figure out what might be the cause and a solution? It's a pretty anoying problem and I don't know what I can try to solve the problem.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sanne

2K Posts

August 29th, 2016 00:00

Hi Sanne,

What is the exact system model? What is the current OS installed on the system? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? Does a restart work fine? Were there any bluescreens / system crashes? Does the system overheat while in use? Are you using the original Dell OEM adapter and battery?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check. Also, reinstall the chipset drivers and video drivers.

Download the service manual from the link above and remove and reseat the memory modules and clean the airvents and fan assembly and reapply the thermal grease for the heatsink.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Also, run a stress test on the system through Support Assist - http://dell.to/1NEc1Y4

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!