Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2012 19:00

Dell Inspiron screen with red/pink tint

Has anyone experienced the following with any of the Dell laptops, a pink/red tinted screen visible as soon as powered on?

I have tried an external monitor and it displays fine (no red tint), have reseated the LCD cable connection at the motherboard with no affect, think it may be the LCD cable.

Any thoughts welcome.

3.8K Posts

August 13th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Since you have already tried reseating the LCD cable and tried and external monitor, it certainly looks like an issue with the LCD cable or the LCD itself.

If you have an Active Warranty, send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend and send me your Service Tag, phone number and address.

Thank you.

193 Posts

August 13th, 2012 23:00

Try the LCD Bist (Turn the machine off, then hold down the Fn-Key while turning the system on.  If it fails the LCD bist, then it is the LCD, if it passes, it is the MObo or the cable.  ==> Don't guess, diagnose

3 Posts

August 25th, 2012 20:00

I have replaced the LCD cable, does not resolve the problem, thinking it may now be the screen

2 Posts

November 20th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

I have the same problem - did you ever get to the root cause? My local computer shop reckons it's either the graphics chip or the screen. I've tried some diagnostics and I reckon it's the screen. (Dell Inspiron 1525). What to do - new screen or new laptop?

Thanks.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2012 15:00

Cestius, no, I never worked out the root cause.

I also suspect it was the LCD screen, to replace it would have cost me significant more than the laptop so I left it there.

193 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 18:00

Test, don't guess.

Use the LCD Bist. 

1) Turn the computer off

2) While holding down the "D" key, turn on the power button.  The computer should run the LCD Bist instead of booting into Windows.

3) If you see the tint in the LCD Bist, it is the screen, otherwise it is the card/motherboard

4) Do you see the tint in Diagnosntics/BIOS?  If so, it has nothing to do with the OS/Video Drivers....

No Events found!