Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

16 Posts

July 4th, 2006 11:00

Dell Inspiron volume icon,quickset,and battery meter

I recently purchased a Dell INspiron 6400.
Quick Set icon is in my tool bar.
when I double click on it, the menu comes up. but when I click on a feature, such as battery meter or hot keys or system infomation, nothing happens.
In addiiton, when I am on battery power, the battery meter is never on the task bar.
How can I get it there?
and one other thing, the volume icon does not stay in the task bar. whenever I boot up, it is not there. I have to go to control panel. I do have the box for place volume icon in task bar checked off. but I have to uncheck it and re-check it, for the volume icon to show up. and it's never thee again when I boot up again.
any help will be gratefully appreciated.
thanks!

14.4K Posts

July 4th, 2006 15:00

for the battery icon look in control panel>power options>advanced and check the relevant checkbox.

138 Posts

July 4th, 2006 22:00

With quickset, click the words next to the icons, not the icons themselves.

Yeah, it's confusing, I know. It took me a bit to figure that out myself.

16 Posts

July 5th, 2006 16:00

quick set.. the words next to the icons? who knew? thanks!

bacillus, I know about control panel. the relevant checkbox is checked but it does not hold the commad.
every time I boot up, the battery icon, or the AC Power icon, and the volume icon..both of which are checked off in control panel.....disappear.

I have to go in to control panel, uncheck the boxes,apply,recheck the boxes, apply and then everything shows up in the taskbar again.

2 Posts

July 7th, 2006 14:00

the volume icon does not stay in the task bar. whenever I boot up, it is not there. I have to go to control panel. I do have the box for place volume icon in task bar checked off. but I have to uncheck it and re-check it, for the volume icon to show up. and it's never thee again when I boot up again.

I have had the same problem problem since I bought my i9300 back in Dec. - This has to be a Dell Issue what else can it be? - okay, it could be any number of things, sorry DELL, but it is very frusterating non-the-less... :smileymad:

well, could it be a media center thing? I rarely use media center but it does find a way to pop up... either way, I think this is truly unaceptable... Are there any other fixes, or settings configs?????

-Mike

3 Posts

July 21st, 2006 02:00

hi, I had the same problem with my inspiron 5160, i tried and tried but i couldn't fix it, but some day I had to format my computer and reinstall the windows, and wallah the problem was fix, is a problem with windows I think. I hope this information will be useful for you.

PD: sorry for my english, I am not an english speaker. :P :)

October 8th, 2013 22:00

Try this to get it to stay..AFTER u select the check box under control panel, Sounds/Devices or whatever the menu topic was, then go back to your desktop. Right click on the task bar at the bottom. At bottom of that menu click Properties. At the bottom of the window that opens you will see a "Hide Inactive Icons" command with a check box and across from it you will see a "Customize" button....select that box and click Customize...Under that menu scroll down until you find Volume Button and select the command Always Show to the right out of the three u can select. Play with anmy other icons u want to show or hide and then click okay, then click APPLY before going any further. This should keep the icon there. It may be disappearing everyday as a result of that setting. If its not I will give you another idea to consider which is a bit more complex but I dont believe u will have the issue any longer after trying the task bar properties set up I just mentioned. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

October 8th, 2013 22:00

Right click on the task bar at the bottom. At bottom of that menu click Properties. At the bottom of the window that opens you will see a "Hide Inactive Icons" command with a check box and across from it you will see a "Customize" button....select that box and click Customize...Under that menu scroll down until you find Volume Button and select the command Always Show to the right out of the three u can select. Play with any other icons u want to show or hide and then click okay, then click APPLY before going any further. This should keep the icon there.

No Events found!