Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2011 02:00

Dell Intelligent Display AND Dell extended battery life

Hi all - i have a new xps 15z and quite happy with it, apart from trackpad stuff which i think i've sorted out now (touchfreeze seems essential).

But i struggle with the power settings, as the changes i make to the "power saver" profile are never saved after a reboot (time to hibernate, power button choices, CPU levels).  From other posts, I suspect this might be all be due to the Dell Extended Battery Life option.  And maybe the Dell Intelligent Display option.

But after a bit of searching, i struggle to find exactly what these programs do.  They seem like good things to leave on, purely from their title.  But their titles are the only pieces of information i can really find about them.  

Perhaps someone (hopefully from Dell) can tell me what they precisely do? 

And as a secondary question : does anyone know what's happening with my power settings?

This thread is being locked due to it's age.  If you have a problem with your notebook not keeping power settings, or problems with Dell Intelligent Display or Dell Extended Battery Life please create a new thread.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 16th, 2011 15:00

Creechitup

Here is something to try, disconnect the AC adapter from the system, look for a dialog box for Dell Intelligent Display and click on it and set Dell Intelligent Display to off and see if the notebook will save your settings.

Do the same for Dell Extended Battery Life; bring up the battery life meter by clicking the power icon on the task bar.  Then click the disable button. Then go in and make sure that your track pad settings are configured.  Reboot the system and check to see if the track pad settings were saved.

If you have not updated the Track pad drivers I certainly suggest that you do so. The new drivers may be downloaded from the following link. Please be sure to uninstall the Cypress drivers before installing the new drivers.  

TB

9 Posts

September 20th, 2011 03:00

Hi Terry - yes that worked i think.  Disabling the Dell Intelligent display/dell extended battery life allowed the settings to stick.  It seems that re-enabling dell extended battery life afterwards was also ok, and didn't cause the power settings to revert.  Many thanks for the tip.

I've left the dell intelligent display thing off, it seems to have cured the variable dimming behaviour.

As for the cypress drivers, i had upgraded already to the latest, and whilst much improved, i still found i needed touchfreeze to prevent cursor jumping when i brushed the trackpad: i quite like "tap-to-click" and would prefer to leave it on.

Just as a comment, it is very confusing to see how the various programs that relate to screen and power settings interact:  i.e. power appears controlled by both windows settings and Dell extended battery life - but what does the latter do, do their activities overlap and if so, which takes precedence?  Similarly, dell intelligent display and intel HD graphics seem to have overlapping functions, yet it's not clear which takes priority.

Still, cracking laptop and i'm very happy.  

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 20th, 2011 09:00

I am happy to read that the system now keeps your power configurations.

Intel HD graphics is actually hardware, it is a video chip integrated into the processor. The system actually has two different video chips, the Intel HD GPU built into the processor and the Nvidia Discreet GPU.  There is a power saving feature called Optimus that should dynamically switch between the Intel HD GPU for situations where it is more important to save battery power and the Nvidia GPU where you need the graphics power.

Dell Intelligent Display is a software utility designed to conserve battery power by dimming the LCD and works with Dell Extended Battery Life on top of the savings for Optimus.  If you aren't as concerned with battery life and want the bright display then certainly disable the Intelligent Display and Extended Battery Life.  

If you require even more power at the cost of battery life check out my article on Optimus found on the following link.

en.community.dell.com/.../19405027.aspx

TB

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2011 12:00

creechitup,

May I ask, where did you find the Dell Intelligent Display setting at? I have a similar model, Dell XPS L501x

I did these screenshots to see if the settings are correct.

I have found the battery settings...

and...

Are these settings correct?

Thanks,

Rick

9 Posts

September 20th, 2011 13:00

@Rick

I right clicked on the taskbar battery meter, selected "dell battery meter" and got this window:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2011 14:00

creechitup,

Thanks for sharing that information. Mine looks like the pisture I first posted with the three tabs, second is Battery Life and the last is Battery Health. I do not see the enable Dell Telligent display option.

I have a Dell XPS L501x. If I change the backlit keyboard settings, then go on battery and shutdown my computer. Wait 2 minutes, then restart the computer, the settings default back to 1 minute. Terry told me you fixed this issue and I was hoping it would work for mine.

If you go on battery and shutdown the computer, wait 2 minutes and start the computer, does your settings stay?

Rick

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 02:00

The reason the power saver settings cannot be changed is due to the Power Smart option in the Fast Access facial recognition software. When Power Smart is enabled in this program, it uses the Windows Power Saver profile to store it's settings. Change the settings in Power "Smart" and reload the Windows power profile page, then look at the Power "Saver" settings to see the changes from Power "Smart" reflected here. If you have Power Smart enabled, you will never be able to change the settings of the Power Saver profile from the normal Windows screen. You can and should turn back on Intelligent Display and Extendede Battery Option, and stop using Power Smart. I have done this, now I can edit Windows power profiles as I wish, and enjoy the benefits of the extended battery/display options.

12 Posts

June 26th, 2012 13:00

I noticed that if I enable Dell Extended Battery Life that my setting "Closing the lid hibernates" is ignored and the system goes to sleep. If I disable Dell Extended Battery Life then it works. Close the lid and the system hibernates. I know that if I call/chat with Dell they are just going to go through a bunch of uninstall/reinstall cycles and piss me off. Some things are just bugs and need to be reported as bugs.  

August 25th, 2012 07:00

I just bought a new Inspiron 15R, i also have a same problem with my battery setting.
I can't turn on the Dell Intelligent Display setting as shown below. Can someone HELP me?

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 21:00

I am not getting above screen...why?

i am getting this 

No Events found!