Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 16th, 2017 19:00

Dell Laptop Drinks Coffee

Actually the maltese dog wanted affection, jumped up on desk knocking a fresh cup of delicious coffee (no sugar, no creamer, just black coffee) over into the laptop.

Laptop Inspiron 17-5000.

The laptop boots fine but the keyboard and mouse seem lazy.   BUT, when it comes up to the login screen, I hit the first letter of the password and the first letter goes repeatedly across the box for the password.  

Example: b turns into bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...

The unit was thoroughly dried out.    Should I take it apart, I do know how, and clean it with alcohol?   Or does expert experience show that it is a lost cause?   I have recovered the data on the hard drive.  No problem there.

Or should I re-install the O/S?  Which I should try before trashing.

Thanks,  Darryl

1.2K Posts

May 17th, 2017 00:00

I would remove the keyboard, and rinse it with  under fresh water.

I would then "shake" the water out ( take it outside and swing it around.

Blowdry with cool air and let it sit for a couple of days.

If that doesn't work you can buy new keyboards on eBay for about $10 and a used touchpad for about $7.

good luck.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 17th, 2017 08:00

I'd also like to suggest you run the diagnostic tool to check hardware on the system by following the steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. After quick tests, you can click on any of the hardware listed and then run Thorough Test Mode on it. Report back any error code.

cli

No Events found!